xml:base attributes missing for eduni tests

Threaded

xml:base attributes missing for eduni tests

frans.englich (Bugzilla)

Hello,

I'm using http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/xmlts20031210.zip for testing a parser,
and have trouble with properly running some of the tests.

For instance, xmlconf.xml contains &eduni-ns10;, which includes
eduni/namespaces/1.0/rmt-ns10.xml. That file contains file references, for
instance "001.xml", which doesn't exist in the top-level directory, where
xmlconf.xml resides. To me it seems xml:base attributes are missing, which
the other subsets of the test suites use.

Unless I'm mistaken, I suggest that xml:base attributes are added for the
eduni tests.

Cheers,

                Frans

Threaded

Re: xml:base attributes missing for eduni tests

Richard Tobin-2

>For instance, xmlconf.xml contains &eduni-ns10;, which includes
>eduni/namespaces/1.0/rmt-ns10.xml. That file contains file references, for
>instance "001.xml", which doesn't exist in the top-level directory, where
>xmlconf.xml resides.  To me it seems xml:base attributes are missing, which
the other subsets of the test suites use.

Relative URIs are interpreted relative to the current base URI.  In
the absence of xml:base attributes, the base URI an element is the URI
of the external entity it appears in (see section 4.2 of
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/), which in this case is
eduni/namespaces/1.0/rmt-ns10.xml.

So no xml:base attribute is needed.

On the other hand, there are xml:base attributes on the TESTCASES
elements for the other tests, and these have been added to the eduni
ones since the zip file was made.  Presumably this is because some
buggy implementations don't interpret base URIs correctly in external
entities.  I'll raise it at the next XML Core WG telcon.

-- Richard

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 22:39, Richard Tobin wrote:

> >For instance, xmlconf.xml contains &eduni-ns10;, which includes
> >eduni/namespaces/1.0/rmt-ns10.xml. That file contains file references, for
> >instance "001.xml", which doesn't exist in the top-level directory, where
> >xmlconf.xml resides.  To me it seems xml:base attributes are missing,
> > which
>
> the other subsets of the test suites use.
>
> Relative URIs are interpreted relative to the current base URI.  In
> the absence of xml:base attributes, the base URI an element is the URI
> of the external entity it appears in (see section 4.2 of
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/), which in this case is
> eduni/namespaces/1.0/rmt-ns10.xml.

Thank you for reading the spec for me.

> So no xml:base attribute is needed.
>
> On the other hand, there are xml:base attributes on the TESTCASES
> elements for the other tests, and these have been added to the eduni
> ones since the zip file was made.  Presumably this is because some
> buggy implementations don't interpret base URIs correctly in external
> entities.  I'll raise it at the next XML Core WG telcon.

Ok.

The reason I ran into it was that I was using code that didn't have support
for xml:base, which forced me to manually implement with xml:base attributes,
without knowledge of external entities.

Btw, have the issues that Björn raised, been resolved?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2006Sep/0000.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2005Dec/0001.html

Cheers,

                Frans

Threaded

Re: xml:base attributes missing for eduni tests

Richard Tobin-2

Sorry for the delay in replying to this.

> Btw, have the issues that Björn raised, been resolved?

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2006Sep/0000.html

Nothing has been done about this one, but the Core WG look into it.

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2005Dec/0001.html

The issues raised in this message were addressed by errata to the
Namespace spec, and these were incorporated in the latest revisions
of Namespaces 1.0 and 1.1.

-- Richard