www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Ed Summers
I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?
[1] I am specifically looking for a record of the conversation around
the initial standardization of the URL, which became RFC 1738 in
December 1994. I did look over on the IETF URI discussion list, but
that seems to start in December 1994.

Any help or guidance you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!
//Ed

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Bjoern Hoehrmann

http://www.w3.org/community/webhistory/ might be a more suitable list.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/community/webhistory/ might be a more suitable list.

Thanks, I see danbri already forwarded my email there (thanks
danbri!). I thought it might be a relevant question for www-talk
since, well, it's the archive of www-talk that is in question. I also
thought there might a chance that some subscribers/packrat might have
the emails from the time period in question. Lots of copies keeps
stuff safe, etc.

//Ed

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Gerald Oskoboiny-2
* Ed Summers <[hidden email]> [2012-11-20 01:36-0500]
> I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
> www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?
> [1] I am specifically looking for a record of the conversation around
> the initial standardization of the URL, which became RFC 1738 in
> December 1994. I did look over on the IETF URI discussion list, but
> that seems to start in December 1994.

There is a copy of the archives from that time period here:
http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/

I think it's missing from W3C's archives because the format of
the mboxes is not understood by our HTML archive software, and we
haven't managed to make time to look into workarounds.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)    http://www.w3.org/
tel:+1-604-906-1232             mailto:[hidden email]

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Marc Weber-2
The same directory (http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/) also has www-vrml and some short runs of a couple of other miscellaneous lists.
My Web history colleague Kevin Hughes has preserved these on webhistory.org since late '96 or early '97, and the plan is to keep them up both there and in the collection of the Internet History Program at the Computer History Museum. Clearly W3C should have a copy too.
Best, Marc

Marc Weber  |   [hidden email]  |   +1 415 282 6868
Internet History Program Founding Curator, Computer History Museum
1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043 computerhistory.org/nethistory
Co-founder, Web History Center and Project, webhistory.org

On Nov 20, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

> * Ed Summers <[hidden email]> [2012-11-20 01:36-0500]
>> I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
>> www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?
>> [1] I am specifically looking for a record of the conversation around
>> the initial standardization of the URL, which became RFC 1738 in
>> December 1994. I did look over on the IETF URI discussion list, but
>> that seems to start in December 1994.
>
> There is a copy of the archives from that time period here:
> http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/
>
> I think it's missing from W3C's archives because the format of
> the mboxes is not understood by our HTML archive software, and we
> haven't managed to make time to look into workarounds.
>
>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/
>> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/
>
> --
> Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/
> World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)    http://www.w3.org/
> tel:+1-604-906-1232             mailto:[hidden email]

RE: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

masinter
I have some 1992 discussions of URLs, UDIs, and various other things to [hidden email] and [hidden email] and various other mailing lists, I'm trying to sort out. Sent a few to Ed Summers.

Arjun Ray-2
On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 01:36 -0500, Ed Summers wrote:
> I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
> www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?

Yes.  I have what could be a complete set of messages from late 1991,
when the www-talk list was formed, through 1995Q3. The messages are
collected into *NIX mbox format files (and ZIP-ped) for 1991, 1992, and
quarterly thereafter.

I dimly recall discussing these with Gerald O. way back when, with a
view to adding them to the w3 Archives but nobody ever got a Round Tuit.

If your visible email address works, I can mail these zip files to you.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Gerald Oskoboiny <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is a copy of the archives from that time period here:
> http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.

> I think it's missing from W3C's archives because the format of
> the mboxes is not understood by our HTML archive software, and we
> haven't managed to make time to look into workarounds.

I wonder if it would be terribly difficult to port the data over. I am
raising my hand as a volunteer, if you are looking for one.

//Ed

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Arjun Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 01:36 -0500, Ed Summers wrote:
>> I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
>> www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?
>
> Yes.  I have what could be a complete set of messages from late 1991,
> when the www-talk list was formed, through 1995Q3. The messages are
> collected into *NIX mbox format files (and ZIP-ped) for 1991, 1992, and
> quarterly thereafter.
>
> I dimly recall discussing these with Gerald O. way back when, with a
> view to adding them to the w3 Archives but nobody ever got a Round Tuit.
>
> If your visible email address works, I can mail these zip files to you.

Ooh, that would be lovely yes. I would be willing to volunteer to see
if I can help get these up at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/ if any help is needed.

//Ed

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Ed Summers
Just a quick note to let anyone else who is interested know that Arjun
did send me the missing 1991-1994 www-talk archives and I have made
them available (for the moment) via my Dropbox account [1]. Thanks
Arjun! The archive amounts to 8,209 emails split up into 10 mbox
files.

I am interested in volunteering to massage the data so that they can
be made part of the complete www-talk archive [2], but I am not sure
who at the W3C I should be talking to about that. So, any pointers on
how to get traction on that would be greatly appreciated. I think
these emails are an extremely important piece of documentation about
the origins of the Web.

//Ed

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2797650/www-talk_1991-1994.tar.gz
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Arjun Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 01:36 -0500, Ed Summers wrote:
>> I imagine this has come up before, but does anyone know if the
>> www-talk discussion list archives between 1992 and 1995 are available?
>
> Yes.  I have what could be a complete set of messages from late 1991,
> when the www-talk list was formed, through 1995Q3. The messages are
> collected into *NIX mbox format files (and ZIP-ped) for 1991, 1992, and
> quarterly thereafter.
>
> I dimly recall discussing these with Gerald O. way back when, with a
> view to adding them to the w3 Archives but nobody ever got a Round Tuit.
>
> If your visible email address works, I can mail these zip files to you.

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Reinier Post
On Tue Nov 20 09:12:56 2012, [hidden email] (Ed Summers) wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.w3.org/community/webhistory/ might be a more suitable list.
>
> Thanks, I see danbri already forwarded my email there (thanks
> danbri!). I thought it might be a relevant question for www-talk
> since, well, it's the archive of www-talk that is in question. I also
> thought there might a chance that some subscribers/packrat might have
> the emails from the time period in question. Lots of copies keeps
> stuff safe, etc.
>
> //Ed

I'd like to use this archive as a reference on several WWW-related
Wikipedia pages; has any progress been made in putting it online?

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webhistory/2012Dec/

doesn't show any progress except a temporary hypermail dump,
which is still up:

  http://inkdroid.org/tmp/www-talk/

A more permanent URL would be welcome.

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven

Re: www-talk archives: 1992-1995?

Ed Summers
I'm glad you brought it up. I work at a w3c member institution (the
Library of Congress) and would welcome the opportunity to work with
someone at the w3c to help get the archives up to date.

//Ed