[www-di] <none>

Rhys Lewis

Hello everyone,

Last year, you were all among the people kind enough to comment on the last call of our specification “Content Selection for Device Independence”.  We responded to all comments on the public mailing list for the document, which is archived at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-diselect-editors/.

Some we accepted, some we declined.

In a number of cases, we did not hear back from you after we responded to your comments. Given the time that has elapsed since our responses were sent, we have assumed that a lack of reply means that you have accepted our response.

Based on the feedback that we received from you, and from others, we made significant changes to the specification. In addition, we split the formal part of the specification into two parts, and have started work on a Primer. It was clear from a number of comments that we had not adequately explained how to use the specification. Some people felt that we were deliberately violating the principle of separation of concerns, which was certainly not our intent.

Because of these and other changes, we have re-issued the last call for this specification. The publications for the second last call are:

Content Selection for Device Independence (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-cselection-20061010/) and

Delivery Context: XPath Access Functions (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-cselection-xaf-20061010/)

The material in these two documents was previously in the single document (http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-cselection-20050502/)

The skeleton for first public working draft of the primer is

Content Selection Primer (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-cselection-primer-20061010/)

Full details of the publication of these documents and the Last Call details are at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-di/2006Oct/0011.html

Very best wishes

Rhys Lewis, chair DIWG

Re:

Elliotte Harold

Rhys Lewis wrote:

> In a number of cases, we did not hear back from you after we responded
> to your comments. Given the time that has elapsed since our responses
> were sent, we have assumed that a lack of reply means that you have
> accepted our response.

Given the time that has elapsed, I'm afraid I'm no longer sure what I
said. However, looking at the latest drafts I think my original concerns
still stand. Perhaps the primer will clear this up, but this seems to be
an effort to create an embedded stylesheet language. It mixes content
with presentation in direct contravention to the goals of the Web, HTML,
and XML going back to their earliest days.

--
´╗┐Elliotte Rusty Harold  [hidden email]
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!