untestable assertions

paul.downey

In our document text, we have a number of assertions which aren't readily expressible as an XPath expression. Jon's latest constraint to disallow cyclic references being one, requiring UTF-8/UTF-16 being another.

Something we could consider is adding assertions as placeholders to our pattern detector, as suggested by Rick, here:

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/03/expressing_untested_and_untest.html

Paul

Re: untestable assertions

Paul Fremantle-2

I'm significantly concerned at the philosophical implications of
untestable assertions. I suggest we need to address the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability of the whole realm :-)

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
VP/Technology and Partnerships, WSO2

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
[hidden email]
(646) 290 8050

RE: untestable assertions

paul.downey

Hi Paul!

I should reassure you that the assertions are all testable,
just not all expressible in XPath:

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/edcopy/basic/basic.html#assertionsummary

testing for a pattern where element A has an element B of ComplexType C which references A isn't easy in XPath, even when they're in the same schema document ..

Paul