ubimarks protocol

Reto Gmür

I've just been looking at ubimarks and can't wait (to find the time) to
write an adaptor so bookmarks can be store on and retrieved from KnoBot
[1]. I may have missed some documents however as I couldn't find
description on the cleint-server protocol. Ubimarks makes an http-put
request to store the bookmarks, does this mean that all bookmarks should
be stored on every change, or has a way already be specified to only
transmit a new bookmark to a server or a modification to the server?

reto

1. http://wymiwyg.org/knobot

Re: ubimarks protocol

Marja Koivunen

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> I've just been looking at ubimarks and can't wait (to find the time)
> to write an adaptor so bookmarks can be store on and retrieved from
> KnoBot  [1]. I may have missed some documents however as I couldn't
> find description on the cleint-server protocol. Ubimarks makes an
> http-put request to store the bookmarks, does this mean that all
> bookmarks should be stored on every change, or has a way already be
> specified to only transmit a new bookmark to a server or a
> modification to the server?
>
> reto
>
> 1. http://wymiwyg.org/knobot

Reto,

Sorry, it took some time to answer. I was travelling and the mail got
lost in spam. I'm starting to update the protocol document now but
trying to have some holidays too.

I have done simple experiments with the server up to now treating
bookmarks pretty much as annotations. Mainly I have concentrated in the
bookmark files up to now as that was more new. I think it would be good
to discuss what else is needed in the ubimarks protocol. Maybe a
property to define chunks of bookmarks outside the topics (like the
files) but that may be different for different users and some other stuff.

There are others who are interested in collaborating with this and
promised to help with changes to the Annotea server as Eric is pretty
busy. I'll do the first version and send mail to you all hoping to have
some discussion.

Happy holidays!

Marja