text in pre/postcondition

Arnaud Quillaud

Hello,

The definition of the pre/postconditions mentions that "If not specified
otherwise, the content for each condition's XML element is defined to be
empty." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-16)

Implicitly, this seems to indicate that one can not stuff text within
the condition element (at least for the ones defined by webdav) which is
unfortunate as this would be very useful for interoperability testing.
Was this restriction made on purpose ?
Are there implementations that actually do stuff text within the condition ?

Thanks,

Arnaud Q

PS: I'm assuming that the same restriction applies to CalDAV/CardDAV (?...).

Re: text in pre/postcondition

Julian Reschke

Arnaud Quillaud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The definition of the pre/postconditions mentions that "If not specified
> otherwise, the content for each condition's XML element is defined to be
> empty." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-16)
>
> Implicitly, this seems to indicate that one can not stuff text within
> the condition element (at least for the ones defined by webdav) which is
> unfortunate as this would be very useful for interoperability testing.

One could argue that the standard extensibility rules apply, thus you
could have a custom child element which then in turn contains the text.

> Was this restriction made on purpose ?

As far as I recall, the purpose was to avoid specifying DTD fragments
for each of them.

> Are there implementations that actually do stuff text within the
> condition ?

I haven't seen that in practice.

> Thanks,
>
> Arnaud Q
>
> PS: I'm assuming that the same restriction applies to CalDAV/CardDAV
> (?...).

Yes, by inheritance, I'd say.

BR, Julian