text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
Gérard,

I have submitted text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'.

1. added new tests
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a027a7c1ca48

2. added 'vrl' or 'vlr' string into filename
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/494498f8b4bf

Could you review it?

# 塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
# mail: [hidden email]

Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-11-25 09:13, 塩澤 元 a écrit :

> Gérard,
>
> I have submitted text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and
> 'sideways-rl'.
>
> 1. added new tests
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a027a7c1ca48
>
> 2. added 'vrl' or 'vlr' string into filename
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/494498f8b4bf
>
> Could you review it?

Hajime,

I will review your text-baseline tests with 'sideways-*' tests. Probably
this week, otherwise next week.

I have a long to-do-list now. And reviewing all of your
unreviewed-and-waiting-for-review tests is in my to-do-list :)

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
Gérard,

I will review your text-baseline tests with 'sideways-*' tests. Probably this week, otherwise next week.
I have a long to-do-list now. And reviewing all of your unreviewed-and-waiting-for-review tests is in my to-do-list :)

I see. Thank you :-)

Hajime

# 塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
# mail: [hidden email]

Le 2015-11-25 09:13, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> I have submitted text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and
> 'sideways-rl'.
>
> 1. added new tests
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a027a7c1ca48

(...)

> Could you review it?

Hajime,

Sorry for the long delay.

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-009.xht

line 8:    <meta name="assert" content="This test checks the generation
of text baseline. When 'writing-mode' is 'sideways-lr' and when
'text-orientation' is 'mixed', then the alphabetical baseline is used as
the dominant baseline." />

line 16:       text-orientation: mixed;

As I understand 'writing-mode: sideways-lr', the writing mode is set and
text-orientation is also set. So, as I understand this, setting
text-orientation to whatever value should have not effect at all when
'writing-mode' is set to 'sideways-[ lr | rl ]'. In which case, I think
you should remove line 16 and I would reword the text assert to say:

line 8:     <meta name="assert" content="When 'writing-mode' is
'sideways-lr', then the alphabetic baseline is used as the dominant
baseline." />

Nit: it's "alphabetic" and not "alphabetical".

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-srl-008.xht

Same comment as for text-baseline-slr-009

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-011.xht

'text-orientation: upright' has no effect on the orientation of latin
glyphs because 'writing-mode' is set to 'sideways-lr'

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Once 'writing-mode: sideways- [ lr | rl ]' has been set, the
'text-orientation' can not be reset individually. sideways- [ lr | rl ]
is not like other shorthand properties.

When the draft spec says

"
The text-orientation property then determines how text is laid out
within the line box.
"
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#block-flow

this is not perfectly true or accurate. The text-orientation property
can determine how text is laid out within the line box *_only if_*
'writing-mode' is set to 'vertical-*'. sideways-[ lr | rl ] writing
modes are still considered as vertical writing modes.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-013.xht

line 8:    <meta name="assert" content="This test checks the generation
of text baseline. When 'writing-mode' is 'sideways-lr' and when
'text-orientation' is 'sideways', then the alphabetical baseline is used
as the dominant baseline." />

Once 'writing-mode' has been set to 'sideways-[lr|rl]', then the
dominant baseline is the alphabetic baseline. After that, setting
'text-orientation' to any value has no effect.

[Addendum: I just had a phone discussion with Elika and she agrees that
we should split your tests.

text-baseline-srl-008
text-baseline-slr-009
text-baseline-srl-010
text-baseline-slr-011
text-baseline-srl-012
text-baseline-slr-013
should be just testing the writing-mode versus dominant baseline used
and then we should have another test making sure, verifying that
text-orientation declarations have no effect whatsoever when the
writing-mode is 'sideways-*'. As coded, your current
text-baseline-s*-00[8-13] tests are testing 2 features at the same time
and we think we should check each feature separately, in separate tests.

Okay... I think we should adjust text-baseline-srl-008 and
text-baseline-slr-009 accordingly.

test with 'writing-mode: sideways-rl' with 'text-orientation: upright'
and 3 tests with 'writing-mode: sideways-lr' with 'text-orientation: [
mixed | upright | sideways ]' where those 4 tests check, make sure that
'text-orientation' declarations have no effect in those 4 'sideways-*'
tests. Those 4 tests should probably go in section 5.1. Orienting Text:
the 'text-orientation' property.

Hajime, do you want to do this? I can do it if you prefer..

]

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
Gérard,

Thank you for reviewing.

[Addendum: I just had a phone discussion with Elika and she agrees that we should split your tests.

text-baseline-srl-008
text-baseline-slr-009
text-baseline-srl-010
text-baseline-slr-011
text-baseline-srl-012
text-baseline-slr-013
should be just testing the writing-mode versus dominant baseline used and then we should have another test making sure, verifying that text-orientation declarations have no effect whatsoever when the writing-mode is 'sideways-*'. As coded, your current text-baseline-s*-00[8-13] tests are testing 2 features at the same time and we think we should check each feature separately, in separate tests.

Okay... I think we should adjust text-baseline-srl-008 and text-baseline-slr-009 accordingly.
OK, I see.

- removed 'text-orientation' property from slr-009 and srl-008
- removed slr-[011|013] and srl-[010|012] from repository.

Hajime, do you want to do this? I can do it if you prefer.
Yes, I want you to create these four tests.
Thank you with your help.

By the way I'm creating sideways-[lr|rl] test on the following existing tests.
- inline-block-alignment
- vertical-alignment

Now I have the following pattern in my local computer for above two tests.

1. sideways-lr + mixed
2. sideways-lr + upright
3. sideways-lr + sideways
4. sideways-rl + mixed
5. sideways-rl + upright
6. sideways-rl + sideways

After I read your review, I think that I should have the following new pattern.
1. sideways-lr (no text-orientation property)
2. sideways-rl (no text-orientation property)

Do you think so?

# 塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
# mail: [hidden email]

Le 2015-12-05 03:33, 塩澤 元 a écrit :

>> mode
>> test with 'writing-mode: sideways-rl' with 'text-orientation: upright'
>> and
>> 3 tests with 'writing-mode: sideways-lr' with 'text-orientation: [
>> mixed |
>> upright | sideways ]' where those 4 tests check, make sure that
>> 'text-orientation' declarations have no effect in those 4 'sideways-*'
>> tests. Those 4 tests should probably go in section 5.1. Orienting
>> Text: the
>> 'text-orientation' property.
>>
>> Hajime, do you want to do this? I can do it if you prefer.
>>
> Yes, I want you to create these four tests.
> Thank you with your help.

Hajime,

This is what I had in mind:

sideways-lr
- - - - - -

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-slr-015.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org//BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-upright-slr-017.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org//BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-sideways-slr-019.xht

Reference file [1]:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-slr-015-ref.xht

sideways-rl
- - - - - -

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-srl-016.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-upright-srl-018.xht

Reference file [1]:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-srl-016-ref.xht

[1]: I believe these tests should probably be manual tests, so the
reference file is not trustworthy for pixel-per-pixel matching
reference.

> By the way I'm creating sideways-[lr|rl] test on the following existing
> tests.
> - inline-block-alignment
> - vertical-alignment
>
> Now I have the following pattern in my local computer for above two
> tests.
>
> 1. sideways-lr + mixed
> 2. sideways-lr + upright
> 3. sideways-lr + sideways
> 4. sideways-rl + mixed
> 5. sideways-rl + upright
> 6. sideways-rl + sideways
>
> After I read your review, I think that I should have the following new
> pattern.
> 1. sideways-lr (no text-orientation property)
> 2. sideways-rl (no text-orientation property)
>
> Do you think so?

Yes. The new pattern is best: with no text-orientation declaration....
since text-orientation declarations in sideways-[ lr | rl ] should have
no effect on glyph orientation in line boxes.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Le 2015-12-05 03:33, 塩澤 元 a écrit :

> I have submitted.
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/6d490ac41879
>
> - removed 'text-orientation' property from slr-009 and srl-008
> - removed slr-[011|013] and srl-[010|012] from repository.

Reviewed and approved:

committed changeset 8133:c1bfaa5a365d
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/c1bfaa5a365d

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
Gérard,

Thank you for reviewing and creating the new tests.

I have submitted the sideways-[lr|rl] variation case with the following existing tests.

1. inline-block-alignment
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/f4fc4e1cebc3

2. vertical-alignment
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/5fc0e011273c

3. table-column-order
https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/b1b1ccd43448

Hajime

# 塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
# mail: [hidden email]

Le 2015-12-06 03:50, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> Thank you for reviewing and creating the new tests.
>
> I have submitted the sideways-[lr|rl] variation case with the following
> existing tests.
>
> 1. inline-block-alignment
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/f4fc4e1cebc3

Hajime,

I have approved inline-block-alignment-srl-008
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/inline-block-alignment-srl-008.xht

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/68b0d4e1e24e

- - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/inline-block-alignment-slr-009.xht

inline-block-alignment-slr-009 is not okay..:

line 16: height: 4em;
inline flow direction in 'sideways-lr' blocks is from bottom to top. If
you set an height and such height is too tall, then this creates a
greater gap at the top. Best is to not set an height.

should be instead:

Here's what I came up with:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/inline-block-alignment-slr-009-GT.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/inline-block-alignment-slr-009-GT-ref.xht

> 2. vertical-alignment
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/5fc0e011273c
>
> 3. table-column-order
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/b1b1ccd43448

I will review those this week.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Le 2015-12-06 03:50, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> Thank you for reviewing and creating the new tests.
>
> I have submitted the sideways-[lr|rl] variation case with the following
> existing tests.

> 2. vertical-alignment
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/5fc0e011273c

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a0e9d2218b37

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-028.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-029.xht

I have added

line 16.5: margin-top: 46px; /* 30px (height of orange square) + 16px
(p's margin-bottom) */

and replaced

line 24: margin-bottom: -2em; /* computes to -60px */
The orange square requires to be offset toward bottom in order to match
the reference.

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-030.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-031.xht

I have added

line 16.5: margin-top: 76px; /* 60px (height of A) + 16px (p's
margin-bottom) */

line 21.5: margin-bottom: -3em; /* computes to -90px */

The "O" square requires to be offset toward bottom in order to match the
reference.

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-032.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-033.xht

I have added

line 16.5: margin-top: 76px; /* 60px (height of A) + 16px (p's
margin-bottom) */

line 21.5: margin-bottom: -3em; /* computes to -90px */

The "O" square requires to be offset toward bottom in order to match the
reference.

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-034.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-035.xht

I have added

line 16.5: margin-top: 46px; /* 30px (height of orange square) + 16px
(p's margin-bottom) */

and then replaced

line 24: margin-bottom: -2em; /* computes to -60px */

The orange square requires to be offset toward bottom in order to match
the reference.

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-036.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-037.xht

I changed

line 22: margin-bottom: -1em;

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-038.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-039.xht

I changed

line 22: margin-bottom: -1em;

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-srl-040.xht

Approved.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-041.xht

I changed

line 32: <div id="slr">

and then approved the test.

- - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/vertical-alignment-slr-049-ref.xht

I removed class="blue" and approved the reference file.

- - - - - - -

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a0e9d2218b37

Gérard

Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
Gérard,

Thank you for reviewing and modification.

I have submitted a change into inline-block-alignment-slr-009.

https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/10742a968c5e

Hajime.

# 塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)
# mail: [hidden email]

Le 2015-12-12 00:34, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> Thank you for reviewing and modification.
>
> I have submitted a change into inline-block-alignment-slr-009.
>
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/10742a968c5e

I replaced the "?" for "É" and approved both files:

https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/f92d52f0e318

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

[css-writing-modes-3] Review of table-column-order-* tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-06 03:50, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,

> I have submitted the sideways-[lr|rl] variation case with the following
> existing tests.

[snipped]

> 3. table-column-order
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/b1b1ccd43448
>

> Hajime

Hajime,

I will not review

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-srl-006.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-slr-007.xht

for now because, so far, all 4 mainstream browsers (Edge 12, IE11,
Chrome 48+, Firefox 45+) fail

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-002.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-003.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-004.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/table-column-order-005.xht

and I can not say with certainty if those 4 tests are correct; I do not
know for sure if those 4 tests are correct. I have examined those 4
tests and I believe they are correct... but I would prefer someone else
to verify this and confirm this. I think it would be best for someone
like Elika or Richard Ishida to review those 4 tests. And then, I would
be in a more confortable position to review those
table-column-order-srl-006 and table-column-order-slr-007 tests.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

[css-writing-modes-3] 5 new text-orientation tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-05 22:36, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Le 2015-12-05 03:33, 塩澤 元 a écrit :

>>> mode
>>> test with 'writing-mode: sideways-rl' with 'text-orientation:
>>> upright' and
>>> 3 tests with 'writing-mode: sideways-lr' with 'text-orientation: [
>>> mixed |
>>> upright | sideways ]' where those 4 tests check, make sure that
>>> 'text-orientation' declarations have no effect in those 4
>>> 'sideways-*'
>>> tests. Those 4 tests should probably go in section 5.1. Orienting
>>> Text: the
>>> 'text-orientation' property.

[snipped]

text-orientation-mixed-srl-016.xht and
text-orientation-upright-srl-018.xht can be reftested since
a block with

     {
       writing-mode: sideways-rl;
       text-orientation: mixed;