spurious spaces in Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition)

spurious spaces in Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition)

David Carlisle

There appear to be a lot of spurious (and misleading) spaces in string
literals in the 4th ed that were not in the 3rd ed.

eg

2.3 Common Syntactic Constructs
   ... Names beginning with the string " xml  ",

2.4 Character Data and Markup
   ... or the strings " &  " and " <  " respectively.
   ... CDATA-section-close delimiter, " ]]>  ".

2.5 Comments
   ... the string " --  " (double-hyphen)

and so on throughout the document. I assume this is an error in the html
generation and there is no intention that these tokens have changed in
the language?

David

Re: spurious spaces in Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition)

Francois-15

David Carlisle a écrit :
> There appear to be a lot of spurious (and misleading) spaces in string
> literals in the 4th ed that were not in the 3rd ed.

The specs (this also impacted XML 1.1) have been edited in place to
remove those spurious spaces.  The header now says:

  "W3C Recommendation 16 August 2006, edited in place 29 September 2006"

> I assume this is an error in the html
> generation and there is no intention that these tokens have changed in
> the language?

Absolutely!

François Yergeau