schema for checking SVG+ARIA documents

Al Gilman

Henri,

One of the things that SVG is concerned about, as regards the
WAI-ARIA embedding in host languages, is that the profile be
checkable for SVG authors.

So on the Hypertext CG call last Friday I accepted the action
to ask you for a schema.

http://www.w3.org/2008/05/23-hcg-minutes.html#action02

Unfortunately, I only understand the gross purpose of this
schema and not the specific detailed requirements.  In addition,
I think the time is not quite ripe while PFWG is considering
a revision to the relevant section of the spec.

But I want to get the request on your radar screen.

Doug, would you refresh us on the feasible range and preferred
precise choice in terms of a schema dialect would be most helpful
to SVG?

Henri, we have Chaals's language under consideration

(Member link)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2008AprJun/att-0407/
aria-implementation.html

.. but aside
from a general idea that we like the general sound of how he
explained it to the TAG it's not even editor's draft text yet,
so if there is work involved it could be premature to do it
*right* now.  Clearly there is room for more bumps in the road
to Rec but right now is a relatively unstable moment.

Al

Re: schema for checking SVG+ARIA documents

Henri Sivonen

Hi,

On May 28, 2008, at 04:40, Al Gilman wrote:

> One of the things that SVG is concerned about, as regards the
> WAI-ARIA embedding in host languages, is that the profile be
> checkable for SVG authors.
>
> So on the Hypertext CG call last Friday I accepted the action
> to ask you for a schema.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/23-hcg-minutes.html#action02

I have already developed draft schema (RELAX NG + Schematron 1.5
schema pair) for HTML5+ARIA. To the extent the SVG WG has schema
feasibility concerns, I think the HTML5+ARIA schema pair should
demonstrate the level of feasibility.

Web view to version control:
http://syntax.whattf.org/relaxng/
(particularly aria.rnc and assertions.sch)

Runnable instance:
http://html5.validator.nu/

Documentation:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/

> Unfortunately, I only understand the gross purpose of this
> schema and not the specific detailed requirements.  In addition,
> I think the time is not quite ripe while PFWG is considering
> a revision to the relevant section of the spec.
>
> But I want to get the request on your radar screen.
>
> Doug, would you refresh us on the feasible range and preferred
> precise choice in terms of a schema dialect would be most helpful
> to SVG?

What I'd like to do is to integrate aria.rnc and assertions.sch
mentioned above to the SVG 1.1 RELAX NG schema used by Validator.nu. I
haven't done so yet for two reasons:
  1) I wanted to wait for the SVG WG to look into how they want to
integrate ARIA. (I am, of course, hoping that the SVG WG finds it
desirable to use the same syntax as (X)HTML5, i.e. aria-foo.)
  2) It seemed to me that it wouldn't make sense to put ARIA on e.g.
<desc>, so I think a table of which roles are allowed on which SVG
elements is needed. (Similar to my draft proposal at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/
  )

--
Henri Sivonen