[request for modifications] QA Tips: "Don't forget to add a doctype"

[request for modifications] QA Tips: "Don't forget to add a doctype"

Karl Dubost-3
Evangelista Team,

in the QA Tips: [Don't forget to add a doctype][1], there are are some factual errors that would be good to fix. Here some suggestions for modifying the text:

        Tools which process HTML documents, such as Web browsers,
        need to know which DTD an (X)HTML document is actually using:
        this is why each (X)HTML document needs, at the beginning, a
        DTD declaration, such as:

s/Tools/Some tools/
s/, such as Web browsers,/
s/needs/might need/

        Why specify a doctype? Because it defines which version of (X)HTML
        your document is actually using, and this is a critical piece
        of information needed by browsers or other tools processing the document.

s/browsers or other/some/

        (and hence discovers errors that may affect the way your page is rendered by various browsers).

s/(and hence discovers errors that may affect the way your page is rendered by various browsers)//

        But the most important thing is that with most families of browsers,
        a doctype declaration will make a lot of guessing unnecessary, and
        will thus trigger a "standard" parsing mode, where the understanding
        (and, as a result, the display) of the document is not only faster,
        it is also consistent and free of any bad surprise that documents
        without doctype will create.

s/parsing mode,/rendering mode./
remove everying after mode.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/Doctype

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: [request for modifications] QA Tips: "Don't forget to add a doctype"

Ian Jacobs-2

On 21 Dec 2009, at 5:54 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Evangelista Team,
>
> in the QA Tips: [Don't forget to add a doctype][1], there are are
> some factual errors that would be good to fix.

Hi Karl,

I have made the changes you suggested. Thank you,

  _ Ian

--
Ian Jacobs ([hidden email])    http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                                      +1 718 260 9447