Quantcast

reference to undeclared general entity nbsp

reference to undeclared general entity nbsp

Pierre Rudloff-2
Hello,
When checking a HTML5 page via direct input, I got this error :
"reference to undeclared general entity nbsp"
I don't understand, is   not a valid way to insert non-breaking spaces ?
Thanks.
--
Pierre Rudloff

NOTE: Whenever possible, give the address of the document you were checking.

Re: reference to undeclared general entity nbsp

Andreas Prilop-8
On Wed, 19 May 2010, Pierre Rudloff wrote:

> When checking a HTML5 page via direct input, I got this error :
> "reference to undeclared general entity nbsp"
> I don't understand, is   not a valid way to insert
> non-breaking spaces ?

Since you do not understand the difference between HTML and XHTML,
you should stick with HTML -- preferably HTML 4.

RE: reference to undeclared general entity nbsp

Tatham Oddie

Pierre,

In your question you mentioned that you were using HTML5. Based on this error, I’m assuming that you’re doing this with an XML based encoding. (If this is not the case, please send us a link to the actual page in question or the full markup snippet.)

Named character entities are a bit different between HTML and XML.

You can see here that non-breaking spaces aren’t defined in XML (and thus XHTML):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references

Never the less, you can always use its numeric representation ( ) in XML if you want.

Finally, in many cases you’re better off using white-space: nowrap; in CSS to achieve the same visual style without having to add extra markup.

--

Tatham Oddie

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

RE: reference to undeclared general entity nbsp

Tatham Oddie
Andreas,

If somebody doesn't understand something then we should be helping them
learn, not pushing them back to an "easier" technology. It's not hard to
write a short email or post a link that helps the person build their
knowledge of the problem domain.