"RDFa Processing in detail" gets some details wrong?

"RDFa Processing in detail" gets some details wrong?

Dan Connolly
In section http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#s_rdfaindetail

I see:

[[
The value of base may change the initial value of [current subject]:

  <head>
    <base href="http://www.example.org/jo/blog" />
    <title>Jo's Friends and Family Blog</title>
    <link rel="foaf:primaryTopic" href="#bbq" />
  </head>
A parser should now generate the following triples, regardless of the
URL from which the XHTML document is served:

<http://www.example.org/jo/blog> foaf:primaryTopic <#bbq> .
<http://www.example.org/jo/blog> dc:creator "Jo" .
]]

but when I made that example into a test case for the RDFa parser
I'm developing, it failed, and I don't think the problem is
in my code.

That <#bbq> object should be <http://www.example.org/jo/blog#bbq>, no?

Then under 6.1.1.2. Using @about, the last 2 of the 5
"should generate" triples look wrong:

<#bbq> cal:summary "one last summer barbecue" .
<#bbq> cal:dtastart "2007-09-16T16:00:00-05:00"^^xsd:dateTime .

dtastart is an obvious typo.

But "one last summer barbecue" suggests there's some sort of
whitespace stripping in RDFa parsing, but step 9 in
section 5 makes it pretty clear that there is no whitespace stripping
in this case:

"The actual literal is either the value of @content (if present) or a
string created by concatenating the text content of each of the
descendant elements of the [current element] in document order."

These examples do help with understanding the spec quite a bit,
but these details are a huge distraction.

I strongly suggest (a) adding these examples to the test suite
and (b) establishing an automated check that they stay in sync
with the test suite.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E

Re: "RDFa Processing in detail" gets some details wrong?

Ivan Herman-2

On 2010-2-3 23:33 , Dan Connolly wrote:

> In section http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#s_rdfaindetail
>
> I see:
>
> [[
> The value of base may change the initial value of [current subject]:

>   <head>
>     <base href="http://www.example.org/jo/blog" />
>     <title>Jo's Friends and Family Blog</title>
>     <link rel="foaf:primaryTopic" href="#bbq" />
>   </head>
> A parser should now generate the following triples, regardless of the
> URL from which the XHTML document is served:
>
> <http://www.example.org/jo/blog> foaf:primaryTopic <#bbq> .
> <http://www.example.org/jo/blog> dc:creator "Jo" .
> ]]
>
> but when I made that example into a test case for the RDFa parser
> I'm developing, it failed, and I don't think the problem is
> in my code.
>
> That <#bbq> object should be <http://www.example.org/jo/blog#bbq>, no?

I think the text is wrong indeed. At least my RDF distiller generates
the full URI...

Error to be recorded...

Ivan

> Then under 6.1.1.2. Using @about, the last 2 of the 5
> "should generate" triples look wrong:
>
> <#bbq> cal:summary "one last summer barbecue" .
> <#bbq> cal:dtastart "2007-09-16T16:00:00-05:00"^^xsd:dateTime .
>
> dtastart is an obvious typo.
>
> But "one last summer barbecue" suggests there's some sort of
> whitespace stripping in RDFa parsing, but step 9 in
> section 5 makes it pretty clear that there is no whitespace stripping
> in this case:
>
> "The actual literal is either the value of @content (if present) or a
> string created by concatenating the text content of each of the
> descendant elements of the [current element] in document order."
>

> These examples do help with understanding the spec quite a bit,
> but these details are a huge distraction.
>
> I strongly suggest (a) adding these examples to the test suite
> and (b) establishing an automated check that they stay in sync
> with the test suite.

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
FOAF   : http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf