"MathML Association"

Peter Krautzberger
Hi,

It seems the WG has a "competitor".

Peter.

Re: "MathML Association"

Bruce R Miller
On 09/16/2015 02:23 PM, Peter Krautzberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems the WG has a "competitor".
>
> * http://dev.mathml-association.org/
> * https://github.com/MathML

Not a competitor in terms of setting standards,
but perhaps a competitor in terms of promoting them.
Lately, it seems like we could use some competition.

bruce

Re: "MathML Association"

Paul Libbrecht-4
Maybe it can make a difference into advertising the need and encouraging implementations?
Somehow, an association may be more friendly or appear more open, similarly to the way the WhatWG has appeared.

Paul

16 septembre 2015 20:50

Not a competitor in terms of setting standards,
but perhaps a competitor in terms of promoting them.
Lately, it seems like we could use some competition.

bruce

16 septembre 2015 20:23
Hi,

It seems the WG has a "competitor".

Peter.

Re: "MathML Association"

Deyan Ginev
On 09/16/2015 03:10 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Maybe it can make a difference into advertising the need and encouraging
> implementations?
> Somehow, an association may be more friendly or appear more open,
> similarly to the way the WhatWG has appeared.

Let's hope so, that's the goal.

Btw, you can also follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/mathml3

and contact us at:
[hidden email]

And some of us are also lurking on this list.

It's a great time to be excited about MathML!

Greetings,
Deyan

> Paul
>
>> Bruce Miller <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> 16 septembre 2015 20:50
>>

>> Not a competitor in terms of setting standards,
>> but perhaps a competitor in terms of promoting them.
>> Lately, it seems like we could use some competition.
>>
>> bruce
>>
>> Peter Krautzberger <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> 16 septembre 2015 20:23
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems the WG has a "competitor".
>>
>> * http://dev.mathml-association.org/
>> * https://github.com/MathML
>>
>> Peter.

Re: "MathML Association"

Michael Kohlhase-2
Dear Peter, dear all,

the MathML association is not at all a competitor to the WG, which is about setting standards.

The MathML association is trying to drum up support for native MathML and support its implementation in browser. That can only be good for the WG.

Michael

On 16/09/15 20:23, Peter Krautzberger wrote:
Hi,

It seems the WG has a "competitor".

Peter.

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,        Office: Research 1, Room 168
 Professor of Computer Science  Campus Ring 1,
 Jacobs University Bremen           D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140  skype: m.kohlhase
 [hidden email] http://kwarc.info/kohlhase

m_kohlhase.vcf (149 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: "MathML Association"

Paul Topping

Sounds good to me. Do you have any specific activities in mind?

Paul Topping

Design Science, Inc.

"How Science Communicates"

Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, Equation Editor

http://www.dessci.com

 [hidden email] http://kwarc.info/kohlhase

Re: "MathML Association"

Frédéric WANG
On 09/16/2015 09:22 PM, Deyan Ginev wrote:
On 09/16/2015 03:10 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
Maybe it can make a difference into advertising the need and encouraging
implementations?
Somehow, an association may be more friendly or appear more open,
similarly to the way the WhatWG has appeared.
Let's hope so, that's the goal.

Btw, you can also follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/mathml3

and contact us at:
[hidden email]

And some of us are also lurking on this list.

It's a great time to be excited about MathML!

Greetings,
Deyan
Dear all,

I would like to add a precision:

The official address is mathml-association.org

The "dev" link mentioned in a previous message was used during the development phase and should never have been posted on a public forum...

I'm also really surprised how one who carefully reads the content of the website can arrive to the conclusion that it is a "competitor" to the Math WG. As others say and as stated on the website, the main goal is to support native MathML implementations in browsers, so it is obviously complementary to the Math WG effort...

Please tell us if there are still instances of the "dev." URL appearing somewhere on our public pages, twitter acount etc or if there are statements on our website that would wrongly suggest a competition with the Math WG, so that we can fix that as soon as possible. Thanks for your feedback!

Frédéric

Re: "MathML Association"

Bert Bos
On Wednesday 16 September 2015 23:46:45 Frédéric WANG wrote:

> *The official address is mathml-association.org *

I've made it a (temporary) highlight on http://www.w3.org/Math/

Nice to see this initiative!

Bert
--