problems generating h1 from title

r12a
http://w3c.github.io/clreq/ needs to add markup to the h1 to apply
language information, (a) so that chinese fonts are used for the
ideographs, and (b) to enable the language in the title to be filtered
by language.

since the title element takes only plain text, generating the h1 from
it, as respec does, is problematic.

i can think of other scenarios where you might possibly want to style
the h1 text, eg. see the h1 for
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-navigation-select

can we de-couple this arrangement? at least if there is an h1 defined in
the document already?  (and is it possible to do so before i publish
clreq as FWPD next week?)

ri

Re: problems generating h1 from title

r12a
On 17/07/2015 07:34, Richard Ishida wrote:

> http://w3c.github.io/clreq/ needs to add markup to the h1 to apply
> language information, (a) so that chinese fonts are used for the
> ideographs, and (b) to enable the language in the title to be filtered
> by language.
>
> since the title element takes only plain text, generating the h1 from
> it, as respec does, is problematic.
>
> i can think of other scenarios where you might possibly want to style
> the h1 text, eg. see the h1 for
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-navigation-select
>
> can we de-couple this arrangement? at least if there is an h1 defined in
> the document already?  (and is it possible to do so before i publish
> clreq as FWPD next week?)

any thoughts on this?

ri

Re: problems generating h1 from title

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM, Richard Ishida <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://w3c.github.io/clreq/ needs to add markup to the h1 to apply language
> information, (a) so that chinese fonts are used for the ideographs, and (b)
> to enable the language in the title to be filtered by language.
>
> since the title element takes only plain text, generating the h1 from it, as
> respec does, is problematic.
>
> i can think of other scenarios where you might possibly want to style the h1
> text, eg. see the h1 for
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-navigation-select
>
> can we de-couple this arrangement? at least if there is an h1 defined in the
> document already?  (and is it possible to do so before i publish clreq as
> FWPD next week?)

This also happens to be an issue for Bikeshed (if you use Title:
metadata, there's no markup; if you use an <h1>, I do weird stuff to
it and throw away the original element).  I've filed it as
<https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/issues/431>.

~TJ

Re: problems generating h1 from title

Robin Berjon-6
On 17/07/2015 08:34 , Richard Ishida wrote:
> can we de-couple this arrangement? at least if there is an h1 defined in
> the document already?

Should the title be generated from the h1's text if the former is absent?

Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

On 04/08/2015 13:03, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 17/07/2015 08:34 , Richard Ishida wrote:
>> can we de-couple this arrangement? at least if there is an h1 defined in
>> the document already?
>
> Should the title be generated from the h1's text if the former is absent?

In such a case, you'd probably want to strip most markup, but convert
inline markup with dir attributes to unicode control codes. (This latter
is currently a bit tricky, given that we ought to use RLI etc, rather
than RLE, but those codes are not yet well supported by browsers.)

ri