problem validating sample stylesheet

Michael-70
Message
Dear www-validator,

I had problems validating your standard stylesheet as found at

The validator complained in general about the 'alignment' property on some sections.

After making some medications, as per the file attached, I was still unable to validate, the validator complaining about no background-color though one is plainly set.

Please advise, as I am embarking on a new project and am anxious to start with an excellent and wholly valid stylesheet.

thanks

mike

default.css (4K) Download Attachment

Re: problem validating sample stylesheet

Cyber Dog

On 11/9/05, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear www-validator,
>
> I had problems validating your standard stylesheet as found at
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html
>
> The validator complained in general about the 'alignment' property on some
> sections.
>
> After making some medications, as per the file attached, I was still unable
> to validate, the validator complaining about no background-color though one
> is plainly set.
>
> Please advise, as I am embarking on a new project and am anxious to start
> with an excellent and wholly valid stylesheet.
>
> thanks
>
> mike

Hi Mike,
  Your attached style sheet (Default.css) is valid CSS.  The
background-color warning in the validator is not an indication of
invalid CSS, although your confusion is understandable.  In fact,
setting your background-color to transparent is perfectly valid
according to the W3C recommendation.  Some people considering using
transparent "bad practice" which is the only reason the warning is
present in the validator.  For further explanation of this, check out
the list archives:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/2005Oct/thread.html