nvdl semantics

Dave Pawson-2

Having crawled through part 4 of 19757 I'm little the wiser
as to the language semantics.

Are there any web references please, post JC NRL notes?

regards
--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Re: nvdl semantics

Chris Lilley

On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 7:16:42 PM, Dave wrote:

DP> Having crawled through part 4 of 19757 I'm little the wiser
DP> as to the language semantics.

What is unclear? Specific details or the overall scope  or ...

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Interaction Domain Leader

Re: nvdl semantics

Dave Pawson-2

On 22/02/07, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 7:16:42 PM, Dave wrote:
>
> DP> Having crawled through part 4 of 19757 I'm little the wiser
> DP> as to the language semantics.
>
> What is unclear? Specific details or the overall scope  or ...

Semantics for the elements in the schema(s) would help.
I.e. something a schema | script writer could use to help write the script.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Re: nvdl semantics

Jirka Kosek
Dave Pawson wrote:

> On 22/02/07, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 7:16:42 PM, Dave wrote:
>>
>> DP> Having crawled through part 4 of 19757 I'm little the wiser
>> DP> as to the language semantics.
>>
>> What is unclear? Specific details or the overall scope  or ...
>
> Semantics for the elements in the schema(s) would help.
> I.e. something a schema | script writer could use to help write the script.
Petr Nálevka (author of JNVDL) has sort of "NVDL tutorial" as part of
his master thesis. I will try to persuade him to publish it separately
before master thesis is completely finished and reviewed.

But generally, NRL tutorial from James Clark is a good start.

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
 OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO/JTC1/SC34 member
 Want to speak at XML Prague 2007 => http://xmlprague.cz/cfp.html

Re: nvdl semantics

Chris Lilley

On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 7:55:11 PM, Dave wrote:

DP> On 22/02/07, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 7:16:42 PM, Dave wrote:
>>
>> DP> Having crawled through part 4 of 19757 I'm little the wiser
>> DP> as to the language semantics.
>>
>> What is unclear? Specific details or the overall scope  or ...

DP> Semantics for the elements in the schema(s) would help.
DP> I.e. something a schema | script writer could use to help write the script.

If you are looking for tutorials and examples then I suggest starting
at

http://xml.coverpages.org/dsdl.html

also look at NRL tutorials, which was the precursor to NVDL.

For implementations to test, I suggest getting hold of the oXygen XML
editor, or the stand-alone oNVDL, or JNVDL.

On 22/02/07, Jirka Kosek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Petr Nálevka (author of JNVDL) has sort of "NVDL tutorial" as part of
> his master thesis. I will try to persuade him to publish it separately
> before master thesis is completely finished and reviewed.
Thanks Jirka

> But generally, NRL tutorial from James Clark is a good start.
http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/nrl.html
is that the one?
The description seems to fit the grammar quite well.

regards
--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Re: nvdl semantics

Chris Lilley

On Thursday, February 22, 2007, 9:07:53 PM, Jirka wrote:

JK> Dave Pawson wrote:

>>> What is unclear? Specific details or the overall scope  or ...

>> Semantics for the elements in the schema(s) would help.
>> I.e. something a schema | script writer could use to help write the script.

JK> Petr Nálevka (author of JNVDL) has sort of "NVDL tutorial" as part of
JK> his master thesis. I will try to persuade him to publish it separately
JK> before master thesis is completely finished and reviewed.

Any news on that? I was discussing NVDL the other day and would like to have pointed people to (and read) the tutorial.

JK> But generally, NRL tutorial from James Clark is a good start.

Yes.

Also I see one can play by example using the new version of relaxed:
http://relaxed.vse.cz/nextgeneration/validate?group=NamespaceRestaurant

It would be good to get the SVG Tiny 1.2 RNG added to that set, by the way.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.2/rng/Tiny-1.2/Tiny-1.2.rng
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/schema.html

and there is also an NVDL definition of Conforming SVG Document Fragments
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/conform.html#ConformingSVGDocuments

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG

Re: nvdl semantics

Jirka Kosek
Chris Lilley wrote:

Hi Chris!

> JK> Petr Nálevka (author of JNVDL) has sort of "NVDL tutorial" as part of
> JK> his master thesis. I will try to persuade him to publish it separately
> JK> before master thesis is completely finished and reviewed.
>
> Any news on that? I was discussing NVDL the other day and would like to have pointed people to (and read) the tutorial.

Yes, it is already on-line:

http://jnvdl.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

> Also I see one can play by example using the new version of relaxed:
> http://relaxed.vse.cz/nextgeneration/validate?group=NamespaceRestaurant
>
> It would be good to get the SVG Tiny 1.2 RNG added to that set, by the way.

Yes, adding more schemas out-of-the box is the plan. But lets say that
our time resources are very very limited for now. Please stay tuned.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz