newbie seeks advice on understanding http protocol

newbie seeks advice on understanding http protocol

ilango_g
Hi
The HTTP protocol is so fundamental to the world wide web and all web applications available today. I have still not really understood what http practically means. I have read a little of the HTTP specs and I have gained some understanding. However I would like to write simple programs illustrating HTTP in a scripting or programming language (like C++ or Java)) to really understand what a request is and what a response is, etc.

For example, I have seen HTTPServeLetRequest class in Java, but I really do not know what is happening. In short I wish to gain a detailed understanding of the HTTP protocol. I wish to really understand what the HTTP spec is talking about and apply it to my programming work.

Any suggestions, advice are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

thanks
ilango

Re: newbie seeks advice on understanding http protocol

Mukul Gandhi

Here's something to read

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP

On 6/29/08, ilango_g <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> The HTTP protocol is so fundamental to the world wide web and all web
> applications available today. I have still not really understood what http
> practically means. I have read a little of the HTTP specs and I have gained
> some understanding. However I would like to write simple programs
> illustrating HTTP in a scripting or programming language (like C++ or Java))
> to really understand what a request is and what a response is, etc.
>
> For example, I have seen HTTPServeLetRequest class in Java, but I really do
> not know what is happening. In short I wish to gain a detailed understanding
> of the HTTP protocol. I wish to really understand what the HTTP spec is
> talking about and apply it to my programming work.
>
> Any suggestions, advice are appreciated. Thanks for your time.
>
> thanks
> ilango

Mukul Gandhi