mobileOK: Proposal for an erratum on TABLES_LAYOUT

mobileOK: Proposal for an erratum on TABLES_LAYOUT

Francois Daoust
Hello dormant Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group,

A user of the W3C mobileOK Checker reported on a Checker bug [1] related to TABLES_LAYOUT. Taking a deeper look at it, I realized that the comment matched old ISSUE-175 [2]:
  "Tables Layout - we should say td or th not just td."

When it's "just td", TABLES_LAYOUT-2 gets triggered when a table features one header column and one column of data, such as:

    <th>Header</th>
   [...]

The minutes of the 9 November 2006 call [3] (minutes are member-only because the group was still operating in member-only mode at the time) report that the group resolved:

  "RESOLUTION: in tables layout, we should say td or th not just td, and close issue-175."

As far as I can tell, this resolution has never made it to the spec, which only mentions "td" elements:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/mobileOK-basic10-tests/#TABLES_LAYOUT

I propose to add the following erratum to the mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0 Recommendation to clarify that the intent of the group is for the test to check table "cells" which can either be represented as "td" or "th" elements.

-----
Entry number: ED-3
Creation date: 02 September 2011
Section referred to: 3.23 TABLES_LAYOUT

Description of the problem
  The TABLES_LAYOUT test checks table cells. In HTML, table cells may be represented as "th" or "td" elements. The current wording suggests to take only "td" elements into account. This is not the intent of the group.

Correction
  The TABLES_LAYOUT test should rather read:
  [[
  For each table element:
   If it contains at most one tr element, FAIL
   If no tr element contains more than one td or th element, FAIL
   For each nested td or th element:
    If the element contains only an image (or equivalent object) whose actual dimensions are 2x2 or less, FAIL
  ]]
----

What do you think?

Unless I hear objections by end of next week (9 September 2011), I will incorporate this erratum in the errata of the mobileOK Basic Tests specification.

Thanks,
Francois.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mobileok-checker/2011Sep/0001.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/175
[3] http://www.w3.org/2006/11/09-bpwg-minutes#item01

Re: mobileOK: Proposal for an erratum on TABLES_LAYOUT

Ignacio Marin
Hi, François:

For me, it is clear that we forgot to actually follow the resolution.
So +1 to your proposal.

Thank you for dealing with this.

Best regards,

Nacho

Ignacio Marín Prendes
CTIC-Centro Tecnológico
Responsable de Unidad de Movilidad e Independencia de Dispositivo
Área de I+D+i
(Manager for Device Independence and Mobility / R&D Department)
Parque Científico y Tecnológico de Gijón
c/ Ada Byron, 39 Edificio Centros Tecnológicos
33203 Gijón - Asturias - España
Tel.: +34 984 29 12 12
Mobile: +34 657 30 59 55
Fax: +34 984 39 06 12
E-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.fundacionctic.org
Política de Privacidad: http://www.fundacionctic.org/privacidad
Privacy Policy: http://www.fundacionctic.org/privacidad

2011/9/2 Francois Daoust <[hidden email]>
[...]

Jeff Sonstein-2
On Sep 2, 2011, at 6:10 AM, Francois Daoust wrote:

> Hello dormant Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group,
>
> A user of the W3C mobileOK Checker reported on a Checker bug [1] [...]
> I propose to add the following erratum to the mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0 Recommendation to clarify that the intent of the group is for the test to check table "cells" which can either be represented as "td" or "th" elements.

+1

thanks
jeffs

--
“In an attempt to take Baltimore, the British attacked Fort McHenry,
 which protected the harbor. Bombs were soon bursting in air,

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/jeffs.asc
http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/emailDisclaimer.html

official RIT email confidentiality statement:
 http://finweb.rit.edu/legalaffairs/confidential.html

Erratum on TABLES_LAYOUT added (was: Re: mobileOK: Proposal for an erratum on TABLES_LAYOUT)

Francois Daoust
Hi there,

Thanks to participants who approved the erratum (both on list and off list). No one objected to this, so I went on and added the erratum to the errata document:
  http://www.w3.org/2008/12/mobileok-errata.html#ed-3

Note I also committed a patch to the mobileOK Checker library and added two regression tests for TABLES_LAYOUT that use "th" elements in the test suite.

Francois.

PS: right, I completely missed my own deadline for this, sorry about that.