[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2016-07-14

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2016-07-14

r12a
https://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html




text version follows:



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

14 Jul 2016

    [2]Agenda

       [2]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0004.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Steven, Richard, David

    Regrets
           Felix, JcK

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar and Active Work Review
          5. [9]Time&Date definitions comments
          6. [10]What to do about DWBP?
          7. [11]Activitystreams comment review
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    action-536?

    <trackbot> action-536 -- Richard Ishida to Publish
    predefined-counter-styles as a wg note -- due 2016-06-30 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/536

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/536

    <scribe> new comments on it, may need a fresh "wide review"

    action-537?

    <trackbot> action-537 -- Addison Phillips to File bugs against
    failing browsers, referring back to the encoding issue list,
    and update the encoding issues -- due 2016-06-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/537

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/537

    <scribe> done FF and Chrome, safari and edge to go

    richard: asked about href one

Info Share

    <r12a>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/blog/International/2016/07/13/w3c-html5-
    validator-enhanced-with-language-detection-functionality/

      [17]
https://www.w3.org/blog/International/2016/07/13/w3c-html5-validator-enhanced-with-language-detection-functionality/

    richard: announcement I made yesterday
    ... html validator detects language and complains if different
    from html @lang

    <scribe> ... done by mike smith

    richard: if an rtl language, looks for @dir

    <r12a> [18]https://validator.w3.org/i18n-checker/

      [18] https://validator.w3.org/i18n-checker/

    richard: source code for i18n checker is on its home page

    <r12a> [19]https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/i18n-checker/

      [19] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/i18n-checker/

    richard: download link

Radar and Active Work Review

    [20]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

      [20] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

    [21]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: request to set up hebrew layout tf
    ... will get to it

Time&Date definitions comments

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/issues/57

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/issues/57

What to do about DWBP?

    [23]https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/WD-dwbp-20160519/

      [23] https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/WD-dwbp-20160519/

    [24]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016J
    ul/0009.html

      [24]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0009.html

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016J
    ul/0010.html

      [25]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0010.html

    richard: dwbp doc will have a CR transition meeting on monday
    ... kind of a surprise

    [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2016JulSep/0010
    .html

      [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2016JulSep/0010.html

    [27]http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/publishing-snapshots/CR-dwbp-2016
    0706/#LocaleParametersMetadata

      [27]
http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/publishing-snapshots/CR-dwbp-20160706/#LocaleParametersMetadata

    we've known about doc for a while

    felix raised an unsent comment

    when asked to review this we were buried

    inclination to grumble a little

    addison: fully agree

    richard: copy plh and ralph on that
    ... nothing from chair or editors
    ... request was kind of off the record
    ... copy the 4 chairs

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write an email objecting to lack of
    I18N review and review coordination and pointing out that there
    are issues that should be addressed [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-539 - Write an email objecting to
    lack of i18n review and review coordination and pointing out
    that there are issues that should be addressed [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2016-07-21].

    david: adding the I18N later doesn't work

    addison: own up to fact we knew about document
    ... process failure, not an attack
    ... spec may not be "best practices" at the end of the day

    richard: could forward felix's comment

    <r12a> [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

    [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

    richard: not just multiple languages, need to provde info about
    language even if just a single language

    addison: not entirely happy with that formulation

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: forward dwbp issue reformulation to
    richard this afternoon (14 Jul) [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-540 - Forward dwbp issue
    reformulation to richard this afternoon (14 jul) [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2016-07-21].

    richard: take a resolution that people should push their
    comments through rather than hoping they will get done

    addison: review pendings each week as part of radar?

    <r12a> [32]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [32] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

Activitystreams comment review

    <r12a> [33]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [33] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    [34]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/184

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/184

    [35]https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/341

      [35] https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/341

    <r12a> [36]https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/335

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/335

    name: "string"

    richard: 1. figure out what to do about json-ld
    ... 2. what to about activity stream

    set @language in context, any items that vary in language
    SHOULD use a map

    other issue is bidi, current proposed solution is to hack with
    markup or use controls

    don't think there is @direction in @context

    <r12a> [37]https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/336

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/issues/336

    richard to close green items, others to reopen if necessary

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: forward dwbp issue reformulation to
    richard this afternoon (14 Jul) [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write an email objecting to lack of I18N
    review and review coordination and pointing out that there are
    issues that should be addressed [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [39] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]