'medium' font-size computes to 16px: uncommon, unreliable assumption

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'medium' font-size computes to 16px: uncommon, unreliable assumption

Gérard Talbot-3
Hello,

"
The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px.
"
should be considered as an uncommon assumption which should not be
relied upon in all test suites. I wish this would change. I wish all
test suites would make the 'medium' font-size of document root element
computed to 16px a *_formal requirement_* before taking tests or test
suite and not make it an uncommon assumption. Especially when
automatically checking thousands of tests with dedicated computers.

I am open to discussion here.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html

Test Style Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-style-guidelines.html

Test Templates
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html

CSS Naming Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-naming.html

Test Review Checklist
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html

CSS Metadata
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'medium' font-size computes to 16px: uncommon, unreliable assumption

fantasai
On 09/05/2015 09:52 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "
> The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px.
> "
> should be considered as an uncommon assumption which should not be relied upon in all test suites. I wish this would change. I
> wish all test suites would make the 'medium' font-size of document root element computed to 16px a *_formal requirement_*
> before taking tests or test suite and not make it an uncommon assumption. Especially when automatically checking thousands of
> tests with dedicated computers.
>
> I am open to discussion here.

The test suite should not make assumptions that don't hold true
if the user has adjusted commonly-available preferences.

Therefore I disagree with changing the policy and the number of
tests that rely on this assumption should be kept to a minimum.

Furthermore, there is no benefit to making this assumption.
Tests are equally, if not more, readable and reliable by using
units that do not rely on the font size.

Please be clear that we are not authoring web pages here.
We are authoring tests. Good practices for tests are not always
good practices for web pages, and vice versa.

~fantasai

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'medium' font-size computes to 16px: uncommon, unreliable assumption

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-09-07 22:28, fantasai a écrit :

> On 09/05/2015 09:52 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> "
>> The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px.
>> "
>> should be considered as an uncommon assumption which should not be
>> relied upon in all test suites. I wish this would change. I
>> wish all test suites would make the 'medium' font-size of document
>> root element computed to 16px a *_formal requirement_*
>> before taking tests or test suite and not make it an uncommon
>> assumption. Especially when automatically checking thousands of
>> tests with dedicated computers.
>>
>> I am open to discussion here.
>
> The test suite should not make assumptions that don't hold true
> if the user has adjusted commonly-available preferences.
>
> Therefore I disagree with changing the policy and the number of
> tests that rely on this assumption should be kept to a minimum.

There are now many CSS2.1 tests relying on such assumption,
unfortunately.

>
> Furthermore, there is no benefit to making this assumption.
> Tests are equally, if not more, readable and reliable by using
> units that do not rely on the font size.

Agreed.

> Please be clear that we are not authoring web pages here.
> We are authoring tests. Good practices for tests are not always
> good practices for web pages, and vice versa.
>
> ~fantasai


1.25em -> 20px
committed changeset 7804:e0b61ffb0e60
http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/e0b61ffb0e60
70 files changes

3.75em -> 60px
committed changeset 7805:fea778cbdbcf
http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/fea778cbdbcf
34 files modified


** To Hajime **

I have modified your writing-modes tests which have

font: 3.75em/1 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/60px */

to

font: 60px/1 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/60px */


and


font: 3.75em/1.5 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/90px */

to

font: 60px/1.5 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/90px */


and


font: 3.75em/3 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/180px */

to

font: 60px/3 Ahem; /* computes to 60px/180px */


because this was my error. If your tests had been already reviewed and
approved and are now "resubmitted for review", then I will re-approve
your tests accordingly.


6.25em -> 100px
committed changeset 7806:2e089610b7fa
http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/2e089610b7fa
35 files modified


3.125em -> 50px
committed changeset 7807:7a9ff29cfbc1
http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/7a9ff29cfbc1

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html

Test Style Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-style-guidelines.html

Test Templates
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html

CSS Naming Guidelines
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-naming.html

Test Review Checklist
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html

CSS Metadata
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html