math display="block" and some more text ?

math display="block" and some more text ?

polx

Hello list,

while tuning our MathML-p output from ActiveMath, I came to the issue
that a limit, encoded with msub, should be presented in "displaystyle"
when in a "centered-math-paragraph".

I am using the name "centered-math-paragraph" since I wish to allow
several math expressions with text in the middle be part of the
centered-math-paragraph. Such text include the evil comma or period
right after but could include also equation numbers, or some other text.

However, the attribute display="block" makes the content of the math
element be presented as a single paragraph... bummer my comma's gone to
next line.

Do I have a different way than encoding my comma or other text as a
string child of the math element ?

thanks

paul

Re: math display="block" and some more text ?

Bruce R Miller

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> while tuning our MathML-p output from ActiveMath, I came to the issue
> that a limit, encoded with msub, should be presented in "displaystyle"
> when in a "centered-math-paragraph".
>
> I am using the name "centered-math-paragraph" since I wish to allow
> several math expressions with text in the middle be part of the
> centered-math-paragraph. Such text include the evil comma or period
> right after but could include also equation numbers, or some other text.

> However, the attribute display="block" makes the content of the math
> element be presented as a single paragraph... bummer my comma's gone to
> next line.

One approach would be the following:
Try putting all your math expressions in separate <math display="inline">'s,
all of them inside of some appropriate block element and separated by
commas, words, whatever; do whatever you need to get centering.
This should get everything back onto a single line.

Then, wrap the contents of each <math> with <mstyle displaystyle="true">
so that the math will all be displaystyle again.

http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/