load and submit

Threaded

load and submit

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen-2
From time to time I find myself wishing I could submit an
instance to the server and have the result returned by
the server opened in a new window.  This appears to be
a kind of cross between a submit and a load -- but the
only way I can see to achieve this is to pass the instance
data long as query parameters on a GET request, which
doesn't work very well for non-trivial instances.

Is there a way to achieve this behavior, or am I wishing
for the impossible?

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net

Threaded

Re: load and submit

Joern Turner-7
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> From time to time I find myself wishing I could submit an
> instance to the server and have the result returned by
> the server opened in a new window.  This appears to be
> a kind of cross between a submit and a load -- but the
> only way I can see to achieve this is to pass the instance
> data long as query parameters on a GET request, which
> doesn't work very well for non-trivial instances.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this behavior, or am I wishing
> for the impossible?
We have added such an extension to bettterFORM so it's definitely
possible. And i also remember having proposed that on this list before
and that it has been discussed by the WG but i don't remember at the
moment what the outcome was.

Joern

> * C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, Black Mesa Technologies LLC
> * http://www.blackmesatech.com
> * http://cmsmcq.com/mib
> * http://balisage.net

Threaded

Re: load and submit

Erik Bruchez-2
> From time to time I find myself wishing I could submit an
> instance to the server and have the result returned by
> the server opened in a new window.  This appears to be
> a kind of cross between a submit and a load -- but the
> only way I can see to achieve this is to pass the instance
> data long as query parameters on a GET request, which
> doesn't work very well for non-trivial instances.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this behavior, or am I wishing
> for the impossible?

Browsers can do that with <form target="">, and our implementation
adds an extension attribute to xforms:submission:

http://wiki.orbeon.com/forms/doc/developer-guide/xforms-advanced-submissions#TOC-Specifying-an-HTML-target-window-or-frame-with-the-xxforms:target-attribute

One issue is that pop-up blockers can interfere with this, at least in
our specific implementation where we have an Ajax request in between
(browsers should be smarter…). This may or may not be an issue with a
100% client-side solution. Maybe Alain can comment on this?

-Erik

Threaded

Re: load and submit

Alain COUTHURES
>>  From time to time I find myself wishing I could submit an
>> instance to the server and have the result returned by
>> the server opened in a new window.  This appears to be
>> a kind of cross between a submit and a load -- but the
>> only way I can see to achieve this is to pass the instance
>> data long as query parameters on a GET request, which
>> doesn't work very well for non-trivial instances.
>>
>> Is there a way to achieve this behavior, or am I wishing
>> for the impossible?
> Browsers can do that with <form target="">, and our implementation
> adds an extension attribute to xforms:submission:
>
> http://wiki.orbeon.com/forms/doc/developer-guide/xforms-advanced-submissions#TOC-Specifying-an-HTML-target-window-or-frame-with-the-xxforms:target-attribute
>
> One issue is that pop-up blockers can interfere with this, at least in
> our specific implementation where we have an Ajax request in between
> (browsers should be smarter…). This may or may not be an issue with a
> 100% client-side solution. Maybe Alain can comment on this?
This would be an easy-to-add feature for XSLTForms: as for xf:load,
XmlHttpRequest calls are used for submissions (HTML form element would
not allow submitting XML instances...) then Javascript instructions
could easily open a new window instead of replacing the calling form.

-Alain