list-style-position-018 is invalid

L. David Baron
The following tests:
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
(that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
draft).

Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
quoting the text here.

(I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)

-David

--
L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/

Re: list-style-position-018 is invalid

Gérard Talbot-3

> The following tests:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
> are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
> first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
> (that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
> draft).
>
> Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
> on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
> quoting the text here.
>
> (I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)

David,

So, what should I do now? Take your word for this and remove the testcase?
Or is there a way to "rescue" and rehabilitate that testcase?

Will I know one day what are those 2 sentences? It's reasonable for me
to be curious at this point..

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/

Re: list-style-position-018 is invalid

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Gérard Talbot wrote:
>So, what should I do now? Take your word for this and remove the testcase?
>Or is there a way to "rescue" and rehabilitate that testcase?
>
>Will I know one day what are those 2 sentences? It's reasonable for me
>to be curious at this point..

Presumably this is Erratum 61, "Because of persistent incompatibilites
between implementations, the constraints on the position of 'outside'
markers are relaxed for some values of 'text-align' and in the presence
of floats. This will be fixed in a future specification."

Re: list-style-position-018 is invalid

Gérard Talbot-3

> * Gérard Talbot wrote:
>>So, what should I do now? Take your word for this and remove the
>> testcase?
>>Or is there a way to "rescue" and rehabilitate that testcase?
>>
>>Will I know one day what are those 2 sentences? It's reasonable for me
>>to be curious at this point..
>
> Presumably this is Erratum 61, "Because of persistent incompatibilites
> between implementations, the constraints on the position of 'outside'
> markers are relaxed for some values of 'text-align' and in the presence
> of floats. This will be fixed in a future specification."

Björn,

Thank you for letting me know. To me, those reasons are important: they
did not imply a problem with the testcase or a misunderstanding of the
spec.

David,

I have removed list-style-position-018 from my directory:

Revision version 1505

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/

Re: list-style-position-018 is invalid

Geoffrey Sneddon-4
On 16/10/10 01:31, David Baron wrote:

> The following tests:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
> are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
> first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
> (that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
> draft).
>
> Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
> on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
> quoting the text here.
>
> (I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)

These were duly removed by Gérard in
<https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/commit/0147c4a7a6946cb7d777bedce0b2499b2b9d60d3>.

As far as I can tell, list-style-position-018 is valid per the 2.1 REC,
and I'm not going to try and dig through the MO CVS history to try and
find the text David is referring to (at least that's a problem we don't
have any more!). We still don't have interop here, and it seems to be
causing some (minor) compat issues, so would be nice to have the test back.

I think what happened is it was undefined for floats and text-align for
a bit in 2.1 drafts, and is now only undefined for floats in the REC?

/Geoffrey

Le 2016-07-11 18:47, Geoffrey Sneddon a écrit :

> On 16/10/10 01:31, David Baron wrote:
>> The following tests:
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
>> are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
>> first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
>> (that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
>> draft).
>>
>> Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
>> on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
>> quoting the text here.
>>
>> (I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)
>
> These were duly removed by Gérard in
> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/commit/0147c4a7a6946cb7d777bedce0b2499b2b9d60d3>.
>
> As far as I can tell, list-style-position-018 is valid per the 2.1 REC,
> and I'm not going to try and dig through the MO CVS history to try and
> find the text David is referring to (at least that's a problem we don't
> have any more!). We still don't have interop here, and it seems to be
> causing some (minor) compat issues, so would be nice to have the test
> back.

David,

I can resubmit list-style-position-018 test into /source/css21/lists .

Or I can submit list-style-position-018 test into /source/css-lists-3
(and I will modify the link to spec accordingly).

Either way is fine with me. No problem.

- - - - - -

> I think what happened is it was undefined for floats and text-align for
> a bit in 2.1 drafts, and is now only undefined for floats in the REC?
>
> /Geoffrey

Geoffrey,

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/floated-image-in-list-item.html

For your information, IE11, Edge 13, Firefox 47, Opera 12.16 (Presto
engine) pass this test. Chrome 51 (and presumably Safari 9.1) fail that
test. I can create a modified version of that test and submit it into
/source/css-lists-3 .

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: list-style-position-018 is invalid

fantasai
On 07/11/2016 06:47 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> On 16/10/10 01:31, David Baron wrote:
>> The following tests:
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
>> are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
>> first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
>> (that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
>> draft).
>>
>> Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
>> on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
>> quoting the text here.
>>
>> (I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)
>
> These were duly removed by Gérard in
> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/commit/0147c4a7a6946cb7d777bedce0b2499b2b9d60d3>.
>
> As far as I can tell, list-style-position-018 is valid per the 2.1 REC,
> and I'm not going to try and dig through the MO CVS history to try and
> find the text David is referring to (at least that's a problem we don't
> have any more!). We still don't have interop here, and it seems to be
> causing some (minor) compat issues, so would be nice to have the test back.
>
> I think what happened is it was undefined for floats and text-align for
> a bit in 2.1 drafts, and is now only undefined for floats in the REC?

Fwiw, the CVS log shows no evidence of any wording about the position of
these bullets other than what you've seen in the public drafts.

~fantasai

Le 2016-07-13 21:02, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Le 2016-07-11 18:47, Geoffrey Sneddon a écrit :
>> On 16/10/10 01:31, David Baron wrote:
>>> The following tests:
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/list-style-position-018.htm
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/list-style-position-018.xht
>>> are invalid because of the first and second sentences after the
>>> first note in the definition of 'outside' in:
>>> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css2-src/generate.html#propdef-list-style-position
>>> (that is, the first and second sentences that are not in the public
>>> draft).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, since I can't find a record of the text in question
>>> on a public mailing list, W3C confidentiality rules prevent me from
>>> quoting the text here.
>>>
>>> (I wish our editors drafts were public, but they're not.)
>>
>> These were duly removed by Gérard in
>> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/commit/0147c4a7a6946cb7d777bedce0b2499b2b9d60d3>.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, list-style-position-018 is valid per the 2.1
>> REC,
>> and I'm not going to try and dig through the MO CVS history to try and
>> find the text David is referring to (at least that's a problem we
>> don't
>> have any more!). We still don't have interop here, and it seems to be
>> causing some (minor) compat issues, so would be nice to have the test
>> back.
>
> David,
>
> I can resubmit list-style-position-018 test into /source/css21/lists .
>
> Or I can submit list-style-position-018 test into /source/css-lists-3
> (and I will modify the link to spec accordingly).

Done:
http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/9a239121f8f1

[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-lists-3/list-style-position-018.xht