link elements

Charles McCathieNevile-2

Hi folks,

following a discussion with Rhys Lewis, it seems that the XML Spec has no
support for adding link elements in the head of a single HTML file.

Would it be possible to have at least the rel="contents" link included?

cheers

Chaals

   hablo español  -  je parle français  -  jeg lærer norsk
[hidden email]          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com

Re: link elements

Karl Dubost

Hi Chaals,

Le 12 sept. 06 à 20:55, Charles McCathieNevile a écrit :
> following a discussion with Rhys Lewis, it seems that the XML Spec
> has no support for adding link elements in the head of a single
> HTML file.
>
> Would it be possible to have at least the rel="contents" link
> included?

Could you give a more detailed use case or markup examples in XML
Spec plus the output in XHTML. Just to clarify.

Thanks.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***

Re: link elements

Charles McCathieNevile-2

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:40:37 +0200, Karl Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chaals,
>
> Le 12 sept. 06 à 20:55, Charles McCathieNevile a écrit :
>> following a discussion with Rhys Lewis, it seems that the XML Spec has
>> no support for adding link elements in the head of a single HTML file.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have at least the rel="contents" link included?
>
> Could you give a more detailed use case or markup examples in XML Spec

Not without reading a lot more of XMLSpec than I want to do again.

> plus the output in XHTML. Just to clarify.

<link rel="contents" href="#contents" />

(this is already generated in multi-page specs, so it can't be rocket
science for the people who write the XSLT). The use case is that browsers
can offer a consistent one-key shortcut to get to the table of contents,
rather than bouncing around the document looking for links. It's why link
was in HTML all those years ago.