[iri] #99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8

[iri] #99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8

iri issue tracker
#99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8

 Currently, http(s): schemes handle the query part with reference to the
 "document charset", whereas other schemes such as mailto: handle query
 parts based on UTF-8. We should say that new schemes should/must choose
 the later. (It's very difficult to introduce exceptions for new schemes.)
 (also see http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/40)

--
----------------------+-----------------
 Reporter:  duerst@…  |      Owner:

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/99>
iri <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/>

Re: [iri] #99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8

Peter Saint-Andre-2
On 10/21/11 5:04 PM, iri issue tracker wrote:
> #99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8
>
>   Currently, http(s): schemes handle the query part with reference to the
>   "document charset", whereas other schemes such as mailto: handle query
>   parts based on UTF-8. We should say that new schemes should/must choose
>   the later. (It's very difficult to introduce exceptions for new schemes.)
>   (also see http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/40)

<hat type='individual'/>

That resolution seems reasonable to me.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

#99: New schemes should make sure query part uses UTF-8

Comment (by masinter@…):

 Martin said he might have some text he would add on this, based on latest
 svn submission.

--
 Reporter:  duerst@…  |       Owner:

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/99#comment:1>