in search of CQL to mySQL converter

Sol Lederman

Hi,

Can anyone point me to code that converts from CQL to mySQL?

Thanks,
Sol

Re: in search of CQL to mySQL converter

Mike Taylor-10

> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:45:14 -0700
> From: Sol Lederman <[hidden email]>
>
> Can anyone point me to code that converts from CQL to mySQL?

Hi, Sol.  This is a more complex problem than it initially appears to
be, for three reasons.  First, the conversion code needs a mapping
between the CQL indexes and the specific table structure in use in the
particular MySQL database you want to search.  Second, all but the
most trivial MySQL database are expressed in terms of multiple tables,
which need to be joined to find "records" that match queries and that
can be returned in Z39.50 or SRU/W.  And third, the SQL "query" is not
really just a query but also includes retrieval specifications,
database selection, etc.  So the mapping from CQL to SQL is not as
clean as the single-letter difference in the acronym suggests :-)

These problems can all be solved, of course, but I don't know of any
free (open source) software that does so -- zSQLgate is the obvious
candidate, but that's non-free for deployment (though free-as-in-beer
to evaluate).

 _/|_ ___________________________________________________________________
/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[hidden email]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons" --
         Popular Mechanics, 1949.

Re: in search of CQL to mySQL converter

Ian Ibbotson
Hiya.. the JZKit JDBC connector component does it, in all it's glory (with multiple join contexts and support for mysql free text and spatial extensions) but it's not so well documented (And getting the initial config correct can be a bit of work, as you need to model the relational structure you want to search against, and produce xml records from) . It's written in java (But available as a component via web service, IIOP or RMI) drop me a line if u want access to cvs or more info. There is also support for other dialects like oracle and postgres. It's open source and used in a couple of quite high volume IR apps like the UK Peoples network.

Ian.

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 21:32 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:45:14 -0700
> From: Sol Lederman <[hidden email]>
>
> Can anyone point me to code that converts from CQL to mySQL?

Hi, Sol.  This is a more complex problem than it initially appears to
be, for three reasons.  First, the conversion code needs a mapping
between the CQL indexes and the specific table structure in use in the
particular MySQL database you want to search.  Second, all but the
most trivial MySQL database are expressed in terms of multiple tables,
which need to be joined to find "records" that match queries and that
can be returned in Z39.50 or SRU/W.  And third, the SQL "query" is not
really just a query but also includes retrieval specifications,
database selection, etc.  So the mapping from CQL to SQL is not as
clean as the single-letter difference in the acronym suggests :-)

These problems can all be solved, of course, but I don't know of any
free (open source) software that does so -- zSQLgate is the obvious
candidate, but that's non-free for deployment (though free-as-in-beer
to evaluate).

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[hidden email]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons" --
	 Popular Mechanics, 1949.

Ian Ibbotson, Director
Knowledge Integration Ltd
Sheffield Technology Parks