http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

12

http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Reto Gmür

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right list - please redirect me if there is
a more appropriate forum.

I was looking for recommendations about the use of trailing slashes in
http-urls,my opinion was, that is better style not to terminate the URLs
with a slash as

    * It is unclear if a resources will once have subcategories (on
      wymiwyg.org "/knobot" has the subcategory "/knobot/development"
      while "/rdf-utils" hasn't yet a subcategory
    * The alternative, terminating all URLs with slash would lead to
      ugly URLs when an extension to force a content-type is added (like
      "bla/.rdf") and leads to unintuitive names when downloading
      resources (such as with wget)

So currently I my server answers like this:
http://wymiwyg.org/knobot -> 200 Success
http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ -> 404 Not found
http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/development -> 200 Success

However implementing support for webdav all the clients I tested at
least occasionally requested a collection without trailing slash, even
if was referenced with slash in the containing collection, this makes it
impossible to have two differen resource at http://wymiwyg.org/knobot (a
GET-dereferencable resource) and http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ (a
dav:collection). It seems that the expected behavior is  that an URL
with removed trailing slash either causes the same server response or a
redirect to the resource with trailing slash.

On *w3.org I see http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User redirects to
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/ while http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes
witch dereferences without trailing slash even if
http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes/http exists.

Is there any recommendation or standard on this?

Thanks,
reto

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Julian Reschke

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right list - please redirect me if there is
> a more appropriate forum.
>
> I was looking for recommendations about the use of trailing slashes in
> http-urls,my opinion was, that is better style not to terminate the URLs
> with a slash as
>
>    * It is unclear if a resources will once have subcategories (on
>      wymiwyg.org "/knobot" has the subcategory "/knobot/development"
>      while "/rdf-utils" hasn't yet a subcategory
>    * The alternative, terminating all URLs with slash would lead to
>      ugly URLs when an extension to force a content-type is added (like
>      "bla/.rdf") and leads to unintuitive names when downloading
>      resources (such as with wget)
>
> So currently I my server answers like this:
> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot -> 200 Success
> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ -> 404 Not found
> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/development -> 200 Success
>
> However implementing support for webdav all the clients I tested at
> least occasionally requested a collection without trailing slash, even
> if was referenced with slash in the containing collection, this makes it
> impossible to have two differen resource at http://wymiwyg.org/knobot (a
> GET-dereferencable resource) and http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ (a
> dav:collection). It seems that the expected behavior is  that an URL
> with removed trailing slash either causes the same server response or a
> redirect to the resource with trailing slash.

Yes. So why don't you just make it one resource that is both a
DAV:collection and has GETtable content?

Best regards, Julian

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Frank Ellermann

=?UTF-8?B?UmV0byBCYWNobWFubi1HbcO8cg==?= wrote:

> It seems that the expected behavior is  that an URL with
> removed trailing slash either causes the same server response
> or a redirect to the resource with trailing slash.

Two possibilities.  But nothing's wrong if you get different
results for different URLs:

<http://purl.net/net/abuse/> and <http://purl.net/net/abuse>

> Is there any recommendation or standard on this?

STD 66 (RfC 3986), different URLs can be really different.

Of course some traditional file systems won't let you have a
file foo in the same directory with a sub-directory foo, but
http servers are not limited to what some file-systems can or
can't do.
                     Bye, Frank

P.S.: I'm too lazy to decode your UTF-8 display name and my UA
      is a bit stupid, sorry.

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

>> However implementing support for webdav all the clients I tested at
>> least occasionally requested a collection without trailing slash,
>> even if was referenced with slash in the containing collection, this
>> makes it impossible to have two differen resource at
>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot (a GET-dereferencable resource) and
>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ (a dav:collection). It seems that the
>> expected behavior is  that an URL with removed trailing slash either
>> causes the same server response or a redirect to the resource with
>> trailing slash.
>
> Yes. So why don't you just make it one resource that is both a
> DAV:collection and has GETtable content?
The problems I see are:
- Relative URIs in formats such as HTML or N3
- Search engines index twice (maybe not with proper Content-Location header)
- Ambiguity when comparing meta-information (such as bookmark files, or
annotea annotations)

Maybe a work around:
- On GET/POST/PUT requests with a slash at the end: redirect to the url
without slash, except for "/"
- On PROPFIND/PROPATCH requests without slash at the end: deliver
response for the resource with trailing slash iff this is a DAV:collection

Well, I don't like work arounds ;-) - the disadvantage of this one is
that you can't access the non-collection resource with dav-clients (but
for every available content-type there is a version with file-extension,
which is accessible). A pity since things would almost work with the
client integrated in KDE (you just have to manually add a slash to the
url after entering a directory).

Any better suggestion?

reto

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Julian Reschke schrieb:
>> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

>>> However implementing support for webdav all the clients I tested at
>>> least occasionally requested a collection without trailing slash,
>>> even if was referenced with slash in the containing collection, this
>>> makes it impossible to have two differen resource at
>>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot (a GET-dereferencable resource) and
>>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ (a dav:collection). It seems that the
>>> expected behavior is  that an URL with removed trailing slash either
>>> causes the same server response or a redirect to the resource with
>>> trailing slash.
>>
>> Yes. So why don't you just make it one resource that is both a
>> DAV:collection and has GETtable content?
> The problems I see are:
> - Relative URIs in formats such as HTML or N3

Wouldn't that be solved with Content-Location (not sure...).

> - Search engines index twice (maybe not with proper Content-Location
> header)
> - Ambiguity when comparing meta-information (such as bookmark files, or
> annotea annotations)
>
> Maybe a work around:
> - On GET/POST/PUT requests with a slash at the end: redirect to the url
> without slash, except for "/"
> - On PROPFIND/PROPATCH requests without slash at the end: deliver
> response for the resource with trailing slash iff this is a DAV:collection

Why wouldn't you always want to point the client to the variant with
trailing slash?

Best regards, Julian

Frank Ellermann schrieb:

> =?UTF-8?B?UmV0byBCYWNobWFubi1HbcO8cg==?= wrote:

> STD 66 (RfC 3986), different URLs can be really different.
>
> Of course some traditional file systems won't let you have a
> file foo in the same directory with a sub-directory foo, but
> http servers are not limited to what some file-systems can or
> can't do.

I don't use or care about traditional file systems ;-) - but it seems
that in this case I cannot at the same time write elegant and standard
compliant code, and create a program that successfully interacts with
real exiting clients.
>                      Bye, Frank
>
> P.S.: I'm too lazy to decode your UTF-8 display name and my UA
>       is a bit stupid, sorry
the denormalized version should be ascii.

cheers,
reto

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>>
>> Julian Reschke schrieb:

>>> Yes. So why don't you just make it one resource that is both a
>>> DAV:collection and has GETtable content?
>> The problems I see are:
>> - Relative URIs in formats such as HTML or N3
>
> Wouldn't that be solved with Content-Location (not sure...).
>
>> - Search engines index twice (maybe not with proper Content-Location
>> header)
>> - Ambiguity when comparing meta-information (such as bookmark files,
>> or annotea annotations)
>>
>> Maybe a work around:
>> - On GET/POST/PUT requests with a slash at the end: redirect to the
>> url without slash, except for "/"
>> - On PROPFIND/PROPATCH requests without slash at the end: deliver
>> response for the resource with trailing slash iff this is a
>> DAV:collection
>
> Why wouldn't you always want to point the client to the variant with
> trailing slash?
According to rfc2518 only collection resources are referenced in the
containing collection with a trailing slash. I guess some webdav clients
would see only directories.

The other issue is users wanting to save resource to disk, testing with
an image at <http://localhost:8585/slashatend/> :

- mozilla (1.07/kubuntu): "save page as" menu just doesn't work (no
reaction), drag-drop, asks for filename
- wget (1.10): saves the image as index.html (sic!)
- konqueror: looks good (but fails with "cannot save animated images")
- amaya: "save as" proposes to save the image/gif to
http://localhost:8585/slashatend/Overview.html, after pressing ok it
asks to authenticate, on http://localhost:8585/slashatend/Overview.html
there is now an html document with an image tag, and the document-url as
its source attribute. Browsing the filesystem and specifying a file name
leads to the status message "Document saved: /home/reto/temp/foo.gif",
but I can't find the file.

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>> Why wouldn't you always want to point the client to the variant with
>> trailing slash?
> According to rfc2518 only collection resources are referenced in the
> containing collection with a trailing slash. I guess some webdav clients
> would see only directories.

Yep. I was referring to collections only.

Best regards, Julian

Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:

> I don't use or care about traditional file systems ;-)

Okay, but one work around you talk about in another article,
"remove trailing slash unless it's the root" sounds like a
recipe about trailing backslash in too many scripts I need
(for FAT, not the patented version, and HPFS).  PITA, Frank

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Windows-world
Hi !

And for conformity XHTML Strict, it's obliged to add '/' or don't ?

exemple when I make a link with the home page :

or

one of you know that ?

thanks,

Friendly,

Jonathan - ( www.jouer-gratuit.net )

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Windows-world
explorer navigator use '/' automaticly, but for conformity strict it's obliged to place '/' at the end of uri ?

Friendly,

Jonathan - ( http://www.jouer-gratuit.net )

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>>> Why wouldn't you always want to point the client to the variant with
>>> trailing slash?
>> According to rfc2518 only collection resources are referenced in the
>> containing collection with a trailing slash. I guess some webdav
>> clients would see only directories.
>
> Yep. I was referring to collections only.
Webdav collections necessarily do, but what's about get-dereferenceable
resource, which are or may become superordinate to others (such as
"myproject" and "documentation of myproject", or "myimage" and
"thumbnail of myimage". In the mail starting this thread [1] I mentioned
why i thought that it would be bad style to end get- dereferenceable
with slash (not as bad as http://ex.org/cgi-bin/foo.pl?artid=9876876 :-).

I my need for uniformity and recommendations exaggerated and should I
respect "slash or not" as a legitimate way of webmaster's
individualization? Do I have to emulate old school index-pages for
webdav access?

reto

1. http://www.w3.org/mid/43D8B8B2.4080005@...

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Julian Reschke schrieb:

>>> According to rfc2518 only collection resources are referenced in the
>>> containing collection with a trailing slash. I guess some webdav
>>> clients would see only directories.
>>
>> Yep. I was referring to collections only.
> Webdav collections necessarily do, but what's about get-dereferenceable
> resource, which are or may become superordinate to others (such as
> "myproject" and "documentation of myproject", or "myimage" and
> "thumbnail of myimage". In the mail starting this thread [1] I mentioned
> why i thought that it would be bad style to end get- dereferenceable
> with slash (not as bad as http://ex.org/cgi-bin/foo.pl?artid=9876876 :-).

WebDAV has no problem with collections being GET-dereferencable. It also
has no problems with a resource "a" being GET-deferencable, later being
replaced by "a/" being both GET-deferencable and being a collection.

So I guess I still don't understand the problem.

Viele Grüße, Julian

Julian Reschke schrieb:
Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

Julian Reschke schrieb:

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
[...]

Ok, I think I originally wanted to ask two questions:

Question 1: would you agree, that for following reasons it is better style if get-dereferenceable resources do not end with a slash:
  1. It is not always clear for which resources you may want to create subordinate resource in future, and you don't want to change URIs
  2. The mapping meaning-url should be as consistent as possible, but the fact that a resource has, or possibly will have subordinate resources is not essential to the meaning
  3. When saving a representation of a resource to disk, client agent suggest/choose better names, if the URL does not end wit a slash
  4. It looks bad to have a slash followed by a question mark or a dot (as for get-parameters, or language/media-type forcing extension)
  5. Oakham's razor and the waste of bandwith :-)

Question 2: am I missing something, or all webdav clients I tested broken, when they retrieve collections without a trailing slash?

I interpreted Frank's reply [1] as "you aren't missing anything, go ahead post bugs for the the clients you used" which  would answer my second question.

The first question seems still open to me.

viele grüsse,
reto

1. http://www.w3.org/mid/43D8C6B7.6B5@...

Viele Grüße, Julian

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> Ok, I think I originally wanted to ask two questions:
>
> Question 1: would you agree, that for following reasons it is better
> style if get-dereferenceable resources do not end with a slash:
>
>        1. It is not always clear for which resources you may want to
>           create subordinate resource in future, and you don't want to
>           change URIs

That may be true, but sounds to me like an edge case that doesn't need
to be optimized. If a form without "/" was chosen, and later it's found
to be a collection, changing the URL (and letting the old URL redirect)
doesn't seem to be a big issue to me.

>        2. The mapping meaning-url should be as consistent as possible,
>           but the fact that a resource has, or possibly will have
>           subordinate resources is not essential to the meaning

Hard to say.

>        3. When saving a representation of a resource to disk, client
>           agent suggest/choose better names, if the URL does not end wit
>           a slash

Example?

>        4. It looks bad to have a slash followed by a question mark or a
>           dot (as for get-parameters, or language/media-type forcing
>           extension)

Disagree.

>        5. Oakham's razor and the waste of bandwith :-)
>

> Question 2: am I missing something, or all webdav clients I tested
> broken, when they retrieve collections without a trailing slash?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Please provide an example.

Best regards, Julian

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>> Ok, I think I originally wanted to ask two questions:
>>
>> Question 1: would you agree, that for following reasons it is better
>> style if get-dereferenceable resources do not end with a slash:
>>
>>        1. It is not always clear for which resources you may want to
>>           create subordinate resource in future, and you don't want to
>>           change URIs
>
> That may be true, but sounds to me like an edge case that doesn't need
> to be optimized. If a form without "/" was chosen, and later it's
> found to be a collection, changing the URL (and letting the old URL
> redirect) doesn't seem to be a big issue to me.
Changing URLs may not be a big issues when just retrieving them with get
(except the maintainer has to adapt relative links), however references
to the URL in the context of meta-information get lost. All
annotea-annotations are away, if you merge your bookmarks you may get
duplicate entry, your Foaf:Agent which is functionally grounded with
foaf:homepage duplicates, ...

>>        2. The mapping meaning-url should be as consistent as possible,
>>           but the fact that a resource has, or possibly will have
>>           subordinate resources is not essential to the meaning
>
> Hard to say.
let's try, can you say which of the following documents (on w3.org) is
access with and which without a trailing slash?

- Overview of Amaya
- Overview of Jigsaw
- Design of Jigsaw
- The RDF-Primer
- learning CSS
- WebCGM 1.0 Second Release (a W3C Recommendation)
- RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised) (a W3C Recommendation)

The solution is in [1], if you get them all right there's probably a
logic I'm just missing

>>        3. When saving a representation of a resource to disk, client
>>           agent suggest/choose better names, if the URL does not end wit
>>           a slash
> Example?
Try to download and save a representation of
<http://gmuer.ch/2006/01/29/test/> and of
<http://gmuer.ch/2006/01/29/another-test> with you favorites clients
(both resources have application/pdf,  text/rtf and
application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text representations) - with the
clients I've tested the filename for the first resource has no relation
at all with the url, while with the second url, the file gets named like
"another-test.rdf".

http://de.gustibus.info/disputandum/?value=false

>>        5. Oakham's razor and the waste of bandwith :-)
>>

>> Question 2: am I missing something, or all webdav clients I tested
>> broken, when they retrieve collections without a trailing slash?
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to. Please provide an example.
The versions I've tested of davfs2, of the microsoft windows
webdav-client and of konqueror (the latter only when pressing reload, or
moving/copying a file to a previously opened folder) send a "PROPFIND
/foo HTTP/1.1" when the user requests a listing of the collection "/foo/".

regards,
reto

[1] Solution puzzle 1: without, with, without, with, without, referenced
without but redirect to with, with. (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Amaya,
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/,
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Programmer/design,
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/, http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning,
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-WebCGM/, http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/)

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Reto Gmür

Hi!

Wouldn't know if XHTML says something about this.

But the HTTP 1.1.RFC 2116 says about get-requests:

Note that the absolute path cannot be empty; if none is present in the original URI, it MUST be given as "/" (the server root).

So while http://www.w3.org and http://www.w3.org/ are different URLs it
seems that you cannot dereference the first one - or maybe you're
supposed to put the complete URL into the get-request (GET
http://www.w3.org HTTP/1.1), not sure. I haven't seen any browser doing
this...

reto

Windows-world schrieb:

> Hi !
>
> And for conformity XHTML Strict, it's obliged to add '/' or don't ?
>
> exemple when I make a link with the home page :
>
> http://www.exemple.com
>
> or
>
> http://www.exemple.com/
>
> one of you know that ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Friendly,
>
> Jonathan - ( www.jouer-gratuit.net <http://www.jouer-gratuit.net> )

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Windows-world

Thanks Reto for your response.

Best Regards,
Jonathan - (
http://www.jouer-gratuit.net - http://www.jeux-enfants.net )

RE: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Larry Masinter

http://www.w3.org and http://www.w3.org/ are two different URIs
that identify the same resource. They identify the same resource
because the two different URIs specify the same effective procedure
for connecting to the resource (whether via GET, POST, or some
other HTTP method).

The URIs http://www.W3.org and http://WWW.w3.OrG also
identify the same resource.

While these refer to the same resource, there is no normative
canonical form, and XHTML (strict or not) has no requirement
for URI canonicalization.

> But the HTTP 1.1.RFC 2116 says about get-requests:
>
> Note that the absolute path cannot be empty; if none is
> present in the original URI, it MUST be given as "/" (the
> server root).
>

> So while http://www.w3.org and http://www.w3.org/ are different URLs it
> seems that you cannot dereference the first one - or maybe you're
> supposed to put the complete URL into the get-request (GET
> http://www.w3.org HTTP/1.1), not sure. I haven't seen any
> browser doing this...
>
> reto
>
> Windows-world schrieb:
> > Hi !
> >
> > And for conformity XHTML Strict, it's obliged to add '/' or don't ?
> >
> > exemple when I make a link with the home page :
> >
> > http://www.exemple.com
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://www.exemple.com/
> >
> > one of you know that ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Friendly,
> >
> > Jonathan - ( www.jouer-gratuit.net <http://www.jouer-gratuit.net> )

Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Tim Bray-3

On Jan 30, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> http://www.w3.org and http://www.w3.org/ are two different URIs
> that identify the same resource. They identify the same resource
> because the two different URIs specify the same effective procedure
> for connecting to the resource (whether via GET, POST, or some
> other HTTP method).

For an example from the other direction, http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/
misc/Tim and http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/misc/Tim/ do not identify
the same resource (in fact, there is no resource corresponding to the
latter).  This breaks poorly-written web robots that foolishly assume
that they can append "/" to URIs where the last path component
doesn't have a "."  -Tim

12