how to troubleshoot "buffer overflow detected"

how to troubleshoot "buffer overflow detected"

Jack-160
This started with a web page I access which prints very poorly.  I
wanted to use Amaya to see how and how badly the page was constructed.
Unfortunately, accessing the page directly requires logging on to the
site with https, so I accessed the page in Firefox, and then saved a
local copy.  When I try to open the local copy in Amaya 11.4.4, I get a
"buffer overflow detected."  I see this reported in the mailing list
against an earlier version [1].  I see even earlier (2009) mentions on
coresecurity and fortiguard.   I have no idea whether what I'm seeing
is the same as any of those reports, but I'd appreciate any suggestions
on troubleshooting (either Amaya or the html).

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Jack

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2011JanMar/0002.html

Re: how to troubleshoot "buffer overflow detected"

Bugzilla from ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net
On 2013.02.18 18:54, Jack wrote:

> This started with a web page I access which prints very poorly.  I
> wanted to use Amaya to see how and how badly the page was
> constructed.  Unfortunately, accessing the page directly requires
> logging on to the site with https, so I accessed the page in Firefox,
> and then saved a local copy.  When I try to open the local copy in
> Amaya 11.4.4, I get a "buffer overflow detected."  I see this
> reported in the mailing list against an earlier version [1].  I see
> even earlier (2009) mentions on coresecurity and fortiguard.   I have
> no idea whether what I'm seeing is the same as any of those reports,
> but I'd appreciate any suggestions on troubleshooting (either Amaya
> or the html).
>
> Thanks for any advice or assistance.
>
> Jack
>

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2011JanMar/0002.html

Thanks to Laurent for his support - and as part of troubleshooting this
problem, I realized my copy of Amaya had been compiled against
zlib-1.2.5, but I had 1.2.7 installed.  Compiling against 1.2.7 (which
took two simple patches) gave me a version which does not get the
buffer overflow - so I suppose now I'll have to go back to
troubleshooting my original problem with a badly designed web page.

I'll respond to my original thread about compiling problems with the
patches for using the new zlib.

Jack