how to read a spec

Elisabeth Robson
Hi,
I think it would be very helpful if the W3C created a document for HTML (and it's related specifications from the WAWG) on "How to read a specification".  There could be two sections: one for browser implementors and one for developers.  For every part of the spec (including the APIs), link to this document, as well as to any mirrored documents being maintained for that spec (or section) that are written specifically for developers rather than implementors.  And I'd like to see links from the "How to read" document to any other helpful documents (like  the Web IDL spec, tutorials, etc).

What do you think?

I would find it incredibly helpful, especially given how much more formalized the specs have become and because they are written for implementors rather than developers (in general). And certainly those new to reading the specs, and new to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript would benefit from this.

Elisabeth

Re: how to read a spec

Anne van Kesteren-2
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 00:51:53 +0100, Elisabeth Robson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would find it incredibly helpful, especially given how much more
> formalized the specs have become and because they are written for
> implementors rather than developers (in general). And certainly those new
> to reading the specs, and new to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript would benefit
> from this.

The problem is that currently we have a lack of technical editors to
define all the details of the platform. While indeed it would be great if
there was even more documentation we simply do not have the bandwidth.
However, if this is something you feel like you can work on yourself, I
think that would be awesome.

Kind regards,

--
Anne van Kesteren