Quantcast

grammar nit

Threaded

grammar nit

Bill Wells-3
In section 2.1, "Well-Formed XML Documents", criterion 3 says:

"Each of the parsed entities which is referenced directly or indirectly within
the document is well-formed."

This is parsed as "Each of <noun phrase> is well formed". The noun phrase is
"the parsed entities which is referenced directly or indirectly within the
document". The latter "is" should be "are", as it references the plural
"parsed entities".

--Bill Wells

Threaded

Re: grammar nit

Paul Grosso
I agree that "entities which is referenced" should be
"entities which are referenced".  (Or maybe "that are
referenced"--I've never been certain about that/which.)

We can put that on the list of things to correct the next
time we issue a new edition.

I will note that this wording is in the First Edition
(February 1998) at
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-well-formed
so it was just inherited in subsequent editions.

paul