documents from RDF-in-HTML Task Force

Ben Adida

Hello all,

Here are three documents produced by the RDF-in-HTML Task Force for
review during the F2F. If you have any questions or comments prior to
the F2F, feel free to send them along to the task force mailing list
([hidden email]).

RDF/A Primer - A quick overview of RDF/A
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-rdfa-primer

RDF/A Syntax - A detailed specification of the RDF/A Syntax
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-rdfa-syntax

CURIEs - A note on compact URIs used in RDF/A
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-10-27-CURIE

We look forward to feedback from the working group on these issues!

-Ben

Re: documents from RDF-in-HTML Task Force

Guus Schreiber

Ben, thanks.

Tonight I will update the f2f agenda with all the input received so far
(documents, discussion topics).

Guus

Ben Adida wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Here are three documents produced by the RDF-in-HTML Task Force for
> review during the F2F. If you have any questions or comments prior to
> the F2F, feel free to send them along to the task force mailing list
> ([hidden email]).
>

> RDF/A Primer - A quick overview of RDF/A
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-rdfa-primer
>
> RDF/A Syntax - A detailed specification of the RDF/A Syntax
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-rdfa-syntax
>
> CURIEs - A note on compact URIs used in RDF/A
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-10-27-CURIE
>

> We look forward to feedback from the working group on these issues!
>
> -Ben

Tel: +31 20 598 7739/7718; E-mail: [hidden email]
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/

RE: documents from RDF-in-HTML Task Force

John McClure

Hello,
Nice documents!

It would be very useful to see RDF/A discuss n-ary statement translation, as
well as statements with anonymous predicates. The n-ary examples would be
particulary helpful as I design Legal XHTML's ontogies which fully use n-ary
expressions since UNCEFACT naming conventions are being followed. The crux of
the Legal XHTML design is that a small set of predicate verbs (like <has>,
<had>, <isA>, <wasA>, and others) are defined, and all objects are then named,
e.g. DocumentLicense. In my view the most efficient coding, using an example
from your document, would then be:

        This document is available under a
        <a rel='has:DocumentLicense' href='...'/>license</a>.

where xmlns:has='http://www.legalxhtml.org/schema.owl#has', that is, the
dereferenced namespace yields an rdf:Property object (whose ontology,
conventionally, is the same as that for DocumentLicense). As for anonymous
predicates, my approach is intutively consistent, in that it would be

        This document is available under a
        <a rel='DocumentLicense' href='...'/>license</a>.

Finally, it would be reassuring to hear that the RDF/A attributes are being
defined as QNAMES, not merely QNAME. That way there is less vocabulary lock-in,
eg:

        This document is available under a
        <a rel='cc:license has:DocumentLicense' href='...'/>license</a>.

Thanks much,
John McClure

PS Incidentally, the example above is easily adjusted to identify a PREVIOUS
license associated with the document.

        This document was once available under a
        <a rel='had:DocumentLicense' href='...'/>license</a>.
        This document will soon be available under a
        <a rel='willHave:DocumentLicense' href='...'/>license</a>.

Unfortunately the expressiveness of <cc:license> does NOT provide any
information relating to the temporal nature of the relationship between subject
and object -- this is what the <has>, <had>, and other predicate verbs
specifically provide.