diff additions to W3C-ED stylesheet

Michael[tm] Smith
This is heads-up about some (temporary) additions to the W3C-ED
stylesheet:

  http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-ED

I added some CSS rules for class values that get output by the
W3C online htmldiff tool:

  http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff

The additions enable color highlights in output from that tool and
should not have any ill effects on display of "normal" W3C
Editor's Drafts. They will only affect generated HTML diff output
from Editor's Drafts.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: diff additions to W3C-ED stylesheet

Shane McCarron

Brilliant - we have been embedding those style rules in the diff
output.  Actually, doesn't the htmldiff tool embed the styles automatically?

--
Shane P. McCarron                          Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
Managing Director                            Fax: +1 763 786-8180

Re: diff additions to W3C-ED stylesheet

Michael[tm] Smith
Hi Shane,

The online gateway to your htmldiff tool at least doesn't seem
embed the CSS in output. At least not for the case of diffs
generated for the HTML5 draft.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember running into a problem
where it also didn't embed it even when I used htmldiff from the
command line.

A test case for this is just to run a diff between these to resources:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/
  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/

:wq

  --Mike

> @2008-05-25 10:55 -0500:
>  Brilliant - we have been embedding those style rules in the diff output.
>  Actually, doesn't the htmldiff tool embed the styles automatically?
>
>  Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> > This is heads-up about some (temporary) additions to the W3C-ED
> > stylesheet:
> >
> >   http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-ED
> >
> > I added some CSS rules for class values that get output by the
> > W3C online htmldiff tool:
> >
> >   http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff
> >
> > The additions enable color highlights in output from that tool and
> > should not have any ill effects on display of "normal" W3C
> > Editor's Drafts. They will only affect generated HTML diff output
> > from Editor's Drafts.
> >
> >   --Mike
> >

>  --
>  Shane P. McCarron                          Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
>  Managing Director                            Fax: +1 763 786-8180
>  ApTest Minnesota                            Inet: [hidden email]

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/
http://sideshowbarker.net/

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

addition to W3C-WD stylesheet

Michael[tm] Smith
"Michael(tm) Smith" <[hidden email]>, 2008-05-25 23:54 +0900:

> This is heads-up about some (temporary) additions to the W3C-ED
> stylesheet:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-ED

Just writing to note that I now made the same changes to the
W3C-WD stylesheet

    http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-WD

...for same reason (see below).

I made them to the WD stylesheet because I've now found that I
need to be able to generate colored HTML diffs of docs in WD state
(not just in ED).

I think maybe these rules should better go in the base (common)
CSS for all the ED/WD/etc., stylesheets. I've so far not done that
just to minimize risk of the additions breaking anything.

> I added some CSS rules for class values that get output by the
> W3C online htmldiff tool:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff
>
> The additions enable color highlights in output from that tool and
> should not have any ill effects on display of "normal" W3C
> Editor's Drafts. They will only affect generated HTML diff output
> from Editor's Drafts.

  --Mike