dav and uri components with embedded slashes

dav and uri components with embedded slashes

Mark Phillips-4

I am a novice with Apache and working to displace ignorance with knowledge. If my question is off topic for this list, please point me to a more appropriate forum if you know of one.

I have set up Apache 2 on Windows XP and enabled mod_dav. That works fine. I have built a dav client that works well with the server as well as successfully connected from well known dav clients.

As we further our development, the request has been made to support URI components with embedded slashes, e.g. "Code 11/test 14".

I have read about the apache directive AllowEncodedSlashes. I tried placing it in the main section of httpd.conf, but no joy.

Is it possible to support embedded slashes in directory and file names in a DAV repository?

If it possible, I would most grateful for advice and/or link to resources to help me understand a correct way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

 - Mark Phillips

Re: dav and uri components with embedded slashes

Julian Reschke

Phillips, Mark wrote:
> I am a novice with Apache and working to displace ignorance with knowledge. If my question is off topic for this list, please point me to a more appropriate forum if you know of one.

The WebDAV mailing list
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/> probably is a
better place...

> I have set up Apache 2 on Windows XP and enabled mod_dav. That works fine. I have built a dav client that works well with the server as well as successfully connected from well known dav clients.
>
> As we further our development, the request has been made to support URI components with embedded slashes, e.g. "Code 11/test 14".
>
> I have read about the apache directive AllowEncodedSlashes. I tried placing it in the main section of httpd.conf, but no joy.

Well, that would allow having them percent-encoded...

> Is it possible to support embedded slashes in directory and file names in a DAV repository?
>
> If it possible, I would most grateful for advice and/or link to resources to help me understand a correct way to accomplish this.

It's probably possible, but I would expect most WebDAV clients to become
extremely confused.

Not sure why you really would want that ... you can't have a slash
character in a filename for a reason :-).

BR, Julian

JR wrote:
> The WebDAV mailing list
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/> probably is a
> better place...

Thank you. I will pay them a visit.

And went on to write:
> It's probably possible, but I would expect most WebDAV clients to become
> extremely confused.
>
> Not sure why you really would want that ... you can't have a slash
> character in a filename for a reason :-).

Understood. Just trying to support natural language in the system. Also, part of the spec involves integrating with an existing dbms in which certain data common to the two system have been allowed to contain various punctuation marks.

I am/was trying to avoid substitutions or other heavy handed techniques in deference to the end users.

Thanks again,

 - Mark