data binding vocabulary for XSD

Rushforth, Peter

Hi,

I'm interested in the subject of this working group, specifically to
see if there has been work done on a standard vocabulary for data binding
from xsd to databases, and if so, what does it look like.

Thanks for any links or comments on the state of the art.

My perspective is to try to (not re-) develop a language describing
the linkage between GML application schemas and the source database structures,
such that Web Feature Services (an OGC web service flavour) could
be administered using that vocabulary.  I am interested in what exists
to date.

Cheers and thanks,

Peter Rushforth
Technology Advisor / Conseiller technique
GeoConnections / GĂ©oConnexions
650-615 Booth St. / rue Booth
Ottawa ON K1A 0E9
E-mail / Courriel: [hidden email]
Phone / TĂ©lephone: (613) 943-0784
Fax / telecopier:  (613) 947-2410

RE: data binding vocabulary for XSD

paul.downey

Hi Peter,

sorry, I somehow missed your post, picked it up from the mail archive.

> I'm interested in the subject of this working group, specifically to
> see if there has been work done on a standard vocabulary for data binding

We're not developing a "standard vocabulary" as such, rather
documenting common patterns of use of schema, and then putting the patterns
into two buckets:

- Basic - patterns know to work with state of the art databinding implementation
- Advanced - patterns in common use, which databinding implementations should improve on

> from xsd to databases, and if so, what does it look like.

Interest within the working group has focussed on mappings between XML and
programming languages, though that use-case is within scope of, and
should be covered by, our work.

> Thanks for any links or comments on the state of the art.

The test suite, in particular the unpublished implementation
report is worth a look:

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/testsuite/
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/edcopy/report/all.html

> My perspective is to try to (not re-) develop a language describing
> the linkage between GML application schemas and the source database structures,
> such that Web Feature Services (an OGC web service flavour) could
> be administered using that vocabulary.  I am interested in what exists
> to date.

That sounds interesting, but as I understand it, falls outside the scope
of this Working Group which strives to be implementation agnostic.
If you can provide links, then I'm sure readers of this list may be able to help.

Paul
http://blog.whatfettle.com

RE: data binding vocabulary for XSD

Rushforth, Peter

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.  I recently participated in an interoperability
pilot project where Web Feature Servers were configured to serve up
GML documents according to a "community" GML application schema.

By "community", I mean one which was defined and agreed to by a group
of participants.

One of the main barriers to interoperability was the difficulty many
participating organizations had in mapping their data to the schema,
since that data was stored in a variety of data stores and served
with a variety of technologies.

A key item suggested as part of the recommendations from that pilot
was to develop a schema mapping vocabulary which could be used to
annotate an application schema giving "hints" (strong hints) to the
service engine as to how to populate instance documents from data
locations.  The recommendation is in
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=26610
discussed under Section 6.1.

Some commentary on the issue can be found here:
http://www.galdosinc.com/archives/525

I will check out the documents you suggest to see if they give me
any ideas.

Cheers,
Peter