[css-writing-modes-3] the "T" in text-orientation-mixed-001

[css-writing-modes-3] the "T" in text-orientation-mixed-001

Gérard Talbot-3
Kazuaki,

[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-orientation-mixed-001.htm

This test will require some explanations and probably some adjustments
too.

First of all, the T used for the test is not a T Unicode Character
'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T' (decimal code is 84; hexadecimal code is 54)
but rather Unicode Character 'FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T' (decimal
code is 65332; hexadecimal code is FF34).
Was this intentional? ... and part of the test?

The text assert does not make any mention of this and the test assert
makes no mention of why the T does not rotate like other characters.
That's why I started to look into this test.

TakaoPGothic font, which is a system font on my system, will be used to
display that T (decimal code is 65332); my system is not going to use
the embedded font (DejaVuSerif-webfont.woff) for that character. This
can explain the difference between the image and the rendering as far as
both T are involved.

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] the "T" in text-orientation-mixed-001

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-08-16 04:16, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Kazuaki,
>
> [src]
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-orientation-mixed-001.htm
>
> This test will require some explanations and probably some adjustments
> too.
>
> First of all, the T used for the test is not a T Unicode Character
> 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T' (decimal code is 84; hexadecimal code is 54)
> but rather Unicode Character 'FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T'
> (decimal code is 65332; hexadecimal code is FF34).
> Was this intentional? ... and part of the test?
>
> The text assert does not make any mention of this and the test assert
> makes no mention of why the T does not rotate like other characters.
> That's why I started to look into this test.
>
> TakaoPGothic font, which is a system font on my system, will be used
> to display that T (decimal code is 65332); my system is not going to
> use the embedded font (DejaVuSerif-webfont.woff) for that character.

Kazuaki,

With Firefox 43.0a1 buildID=20150815090753, TakaoPGothic font is used to
display that T (decimal code is 65332) in your
text-orientation-mixed-001 test.

With Firefox 40, NanumMyeongjo font is used to display that T (decimal
code is 65332) in your text-orientation-mixed-001 test.

With Chrome 46.0.2478.0, "Droid Sans Fallback" font is used to display
that T (decimal code is 65332) in your text-orientation-mixed-001 test.

> This can explain the difference between the image and the rendering as
> far as both T are involved.
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html

Firefox 43 uses NanumMyeongjo font, which is a font system on my system,
for that page while Chrome 46 again uses "Droid Sans Fallback".

I think one way to work around the font required to render that T
(decimal code is 65332) character in your text-orientation-mixed-001
test would be to declare it specifically, intentionally and deliberately
for "Droid Sans Fallback" font, like this:

Fallback';">T</span>ext sample</div>

[I just tried this with Firefox 40 and Firefox 43 and it works
perfectly.]

Then do the same kind of research for Windows 8+ and Mac OS X Intel
10.10.x with Firefox, Chrome and Edge browsers.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines