[css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

[css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Hello,

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

The reference image must be redone so that it uses a "T" (65332) and not
a "T" (84).
More info:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-010.xht

The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, not best, not testing
what it claims to be testing because #test and #control use identical
code. The initial, default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none';
the initial, default value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht

The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial, default
value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and 'mixed'
text are compared.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Koji Ishii

Hello,

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

The reference image must be redone so that it uses a "T" (65332) and not a "T" (84).
More info:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html

I think it's intentional and correct, though I agree that it's not easy to understand. "T" is in FULL WIDTH T to set in upright. If you change it to ASCII T, it must set in sideways, and the test is no longer testing "mixed" value.

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-010.xht

The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, not best, not testing what it claims to be testing because #test and #control use identical code. The initial, default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial, default value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'.

Huh, agree that this test does not make sense, it only makes sense to who understands how it should look, and test and ref are not related.

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht

The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial, default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial, default value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and 'mixed' text are compared.

This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.

/koji

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :

[snipped]

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
>> default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial,
>> default
>> value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and
>> 'mixed'
>> text are compared.
>>

> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.

With Firefox 45.0a1 nightly, try

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht

where a) and b) correspond to the code involved in
text-orientation-014.xht . Right now, I am not sure how should a
sideways-ed latin text be rendered inside a line box whose dominant
baseline is central.

text-orientation-014.xht also has another issue: the font used is not
specified. So, the default system font on the tester's os is involved...
while I might have another and different default system font for my os.

In this test

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-014-mplus-1p-GT.xht

we "fix" (force) the font used. Chrome 49 Canary and Firefox 45
differ... and I think (albeit not sure) Firefox is closer to the correct
rendering.

Koji, I've sent you another email on
[...]

Gecko looks incorrect to me. text-orientation should not change the line height. Slight differences in baseline position can be possible, but not line height.

text-orientation-014.xht also has another issue: the font used is not specified. So, the default system font on the tester's os is involved... while I might have another and different default system font for my os.

True, from that perspective, it's not really a good test. But the test method being not good and incorrect test are two different things.

In this test

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-014-mplus-1p-GT.xht

we "fix" (force) the font used. Chrome 49 Canary and Firefox 45 differ... and I think (albeit not sure) Firefox is closer to the correct rendering.

As mentioned above, varying line height isn't expected.

Koji, I've sent you another email on
text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht

Sounds like I missed...will check.

BTW, do you have a github account? github issue tracker[1] helps unanswered questions, if you can be used to it. If not, I'll try my best not to miss.

/koji

Le 2015-12-07 20:17, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>> Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :
>>
>> [snipped]
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht

>>> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.
>>>

>> With Firefox 45.0a1 nightly, try
>>

>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht
>>
>> where a) and b) correspond to the code involved in
>> text-orientation-014.xht . Right now, I am not sure how should a
>> sideways-ed latin text be rendered inside a line box whose dominant
>> baseline is central.
>>

> Gecko looks incorrect to me. text-orientation should not change the
> line
> height. Slight differences in baseline position can be possible,

If slight differences in baseline position can be possible, then I think
we need to figure out these conditions (under which code scenarios) and
then do accordingly tests on such code scenarios.

> but not
> line height.

In 'writing-mode: horizontal-tb' contexts, line box height can grow, can
become taller, can increase if one (or many) inline box(es) are moved by
vertical-align declaration(s) and/or if an inline box has a tall
line-height value. So, why this logic is not applied or can not be
applied to inline boxes moved off by a dominant baseline? This is why I
thought line box height should increase. This is difficult to formulate
here..

> text-orientation-014.xht also has another issue: the font used is not
>> specified. So, the default system font on the tester's os is
>> involved...
>> while I might have another and different default system font for my
>> os.
>>

> True, from that perspective, it's not really a good test. But the test
> method being not good and incorrect test are two different things.
>
> In this test
>>

>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-014-mplus-1p-GT.xht
>>
>> we "fix" (force) the font used. Chrome 49 Canary and Firefox 45
>> differ...
>> and I think (albeit not sure) Firefox is closer to the correct
>> rendering.
>>

> As mentioned above, varying line height isn't expected.
>
> Koji, I've sent you another email on
>> text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht
>>

> Sounds like I missed...will check.

The subject line of that email (sent Sunday December 6th) was: "Latin
text with 'text-orientation: sideways' inside a line box whose dominant
baseline is central"

> BTW, do you have a github account?

No I do not have a github account.

Gérard

--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Koji Ishii
Le 2015-12-07 20:17, Koji Ishii a écrit :

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht

[snip]

In 'writing-mode: horizontal-tb' contexts, line box height can grow, can become taller, can increase if one (or many) inline box(es) are moved by vertical-align declaration(s) and/or if an inline box has a tall line-height value. So, why this logic is not applied or can not be applied to inline boxes moved off by a dominant baseline? This is why I thought line box height should increase. This is difficult to formulate here..

I do understand that in general, but in this specific case, I can't find any spec mentioning to change the line height in the above HTML. Can you point, how I could combine each spec definition, to read so?

I mean, if the spec really says the Gecko behavior is correct, that breaks East Asian use cases that the spec should be fixed.

/koji

Le 2015-12-08 22:37, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>>> In 'writing-mode: horizontal-tb' contexts, line box height can grow,
>>> can
>> become taller, can increase if one (or many) inline box(es) are moved
>> by
>> vertical-align declaration(s) and/or if an inline box has a tall
>> line-height value. So, why this logic is not applied or can not be
>> applied
>> to inline boxes moved off by a dominant baseline? This is why I
>> thought
>> line box height should increase. This is difficult to formulate here..
>

> I do understand that in general, but in this specific case, I can't
> find
> any spec mentioning to change the line height in the above HTML. Can
> you
> point, how I could combine each spec definition, to read so?

This is what I had in mind:

"
The line box height is the distance between the uppermost box top and
the lowermost box bottom.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#line-height

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/inline-formatting-context-010c.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/inline-formatting-context-010d.htm

But, anyway, if "sideways"-ed latin text inside a line box whose
dominant baseline is central is not going (and is not supposed) to be
offset horizontally, then its impact on line box height is inexistent.

In c) of

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-004.xht

if the "W" and "S" glyphs (text-orientation: sideways) are supposed to
be perfectly aligned with the "M" and "X" glyphs (text-orientation:
mixed), then the line box height should not grow, should not increase.

My reasoning is: if the "W" and "S" glyphs (text-orientation: sideways)
are supposed to be offset by 30%, offset leftwardedly (toward the left,
toward the descender side) in comparison to the "M" and "X" glyphs
(text-orientation: mixed), then I think the line box height should be
adjusted accordingly, should increase by 30% too.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
>> default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial,
>> default
>> value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and
>> 'mixed'
>> text are compared.
>>

> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.
>
> /koji

Koji,

I am ready to remove the second (bottom) part of the
text-orientation-014 test... but the thing is: later[1] you wrote (on
that same second-bottom part of the text-orientation-014 test): "Slight
differences in baseline position can be possible" . Please elaborate on
that: maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to say...

What I am interested in is: under which conditions (code scenarios) can
there be differences in baseline position between 'text-orientation:
mixed' and 'text-orientation: sideways' (assuming here that we use Ahem
font in such code scenarios or identical font in such code scenarios)?
My query is fundamentally oriented toward making tests that would cover
such conditions.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2015Dec/0010.html

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>> Hello,
>>

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>>
>> The reference image must be redone so that it uses a "T" (65332) and
>> not a
>> "T" (84).
>> More info:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html
>

> I think it's intentional and correct, though I agree that it's not easy
> understand. "T" is in FULL WIDTH T to set in upright. If you change it
> ASCII T, it must set in sideways, and the test is no longer testing
> "mixed"
> value.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I have updated your

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

test a bit:

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/208a599088f4

I wanted to approve your text-orientation-mixed-001 but "if both "Text
sample" rectangles are identical" can lead testers to believe that
everything must be pixel-perfectly-identical. I think we need to
rephrase the pass-fail-conditions sentence to just say something like:

Test passes if both "Text sample" rectangles have only their "T"
displayed vertically and their "ext Sample" displayed sideways (90
degrees clockwise).

- - - - - - -

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-010.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, not best, not testing
>> what
>> it claims to be testing because #test and #control use identical code.
>> The
>> initial, default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the
>> initial,
>> default value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'.
>>

> Huh, agree that this test does not make sense, it only makes sense to
> who
> understands how it should look, and test and ref are not related.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I am trying to rehabilitate your text-orientation-010 test as much as
possible.
I wanted to use an image as reference (instead of, in place of your
current code #control which can not be correct) but Chrome 49 uses a
large letter-spacing (or inter-character spacing) which is larger than
Firefox 45. This may be allowed by the spec... I do not know for sure.
So, I need to think this over some more.

- - - - - - -

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
>> default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial,
>> default
>> value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and
>> 'mixed'
>> text are compared.
>>

> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I am also trying to rehabilitate your text-orientation-014 test as much
as possible.
I am thinking of using

@font-face
        {
        font-family: "DejaVuSerifBook";
        src: url("support/DejaVuSerif-webfont.woff") format("woff");
        /* Filesize: 18096 bytes (17.7 KBytes) */
        }

since all the characters are basic latin and then create an image as
reference for comparison, for control. In your current test, #control
can not - in all fairness - serve as a reference for comparison.

Overall, I am more and more enclined to believe that we should split
your text-orientation-010, text-orientation-011 and text-orientation-014
tests in 2 distinct, separate tests so that some tests would say
"identical", others would grant some latitude, leniency with
inter-character spacing.

Gérard

Le 2015-12-12 02:40, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>>>
>>> The reference image must be redone so that it uses a "T" (65332) and
>>> not a
>>> "T" (84).
>>> More info:
>>>
>>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html
>>

>> I think it's intentional and correct, though I agree that it's not
>> easy to
>> understand. "T" is in FULL WIDTH T to set in upright. If you change it
>> ASCII T, it must set in sideways, and the test is no longer testing
>> "mixed"
>> value.
>>

> Kazuaki Takemura,
>
> I have updated your
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>
> test a bit:
>
> http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/208a599088f4
>
> I wanted to approve your text-orientation-mixed-001 but "if both "Text
> sample" rectangles are identical" can lead testers to believe that
> everything must be pixel-perfectly-identical. I think we need to
> rephrase the pass-fail-conditions sentence to just say something like:
>
> Test passes if both "Text sample" rectangles have only their "T"
> displayed vertically and their "ext Sample" displayed sideways (90
> degrees clockwise).

Another thing I just realized now is that the webfont DejaVu Serif can
not handle, can not render the &#65332; character because outside of its
range. So browsers (Firefox 45, Chrome 49) resort to another font to
render such character. We may need to replace the DejaVu Serif webfont
with "mplus-1p-regular" webfont in that test too.

Gérard

--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

[css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001

Gérard Talbot-3
Kazuaki Takemura,

I have modified your original test

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

into

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-001-GT.xht

and I will submit it with both of us as co-authors.

I think your original test is excellent. We just needed to better
describe the expected result and explain the existence of that "T"
(65332).

Other changes:

font-family: "DejaVuSerifBook";

We also need to declare a font that will have in its range the &#65332;
character; so, "mplus-1p-regular" replaces "DejaVuSerifBook".

font-size: 1.875em; /* equivalent to 30px */

It is best, more reliable to use px unit for tests (although, on the
web, em unit or percentage unit is better).

I have tuned the text assert and the pass-fail-conditions sentence.

I will ask Koji Ishii to review that test.

One last thing. The screenshot image is from Chrome 49. I think there
should be a small gap (just a few pixels) between the top of "T" and the
gray border-top; Firefox 42+ does not do that. I think it is a bug in
Firefox.

Gérard

Le 2015-12-15 06:04, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Kazuaki Takemura,
>
> I have modified your original test
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>
> into
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-001-GT.xht
>
> and I will submit it with both of us as co-authors.
>
> I think your original test is excellent. We just needed to better
> describe the expected result and explain the existence of that "T"
> (65332).
>
> Other changes:
>
> font-family: "DejaVuSerifBook";
>
> We also need to declare a font that will have in its range the
> &#65332; character; so, "mplus-1p-regular" replaces "DejaVuSerifBook".
>
> font-size: 1.875em; /* equivalent to 30px */
>
> It is best, more reliable to use px unit for tests (although, on the
> web, em unit or percentage unit is better).
>
> I have tuned the text assert and the pass-fail-conditions sentence.

Kazuaki Takemura,

New submitted and co-authored text-orientation-mixed-001 test:

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/5254423758e3

Koji, can you review that test? Thanks.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :

[snipped]

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
>> default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial,
>> default
>> value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and
>> 'mixed'
>> text are compared.
>>

> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.
>
> /koji

Koji,

I created

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-016.xht

along with its reference file

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/781637eb6880

so that we can eventually remove, replace text-orientation-014 entirely.

The first (top) part of text-orientation-014 is now

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/block-flow-direction-vrl-026.xht

and the corrected and improved-with-Ahem-font second (bottom) part of
text-orientation-014 test is now text-orientation-016 test.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

[css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-014 test removed

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-12-07 20:17, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>> Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :
>>
>> [snipped]
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht

>>> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.
>>>

>> With Firefox 45.0a1 nightly, try
>>

>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-orientation-mixed-vs-sideways-002.xht
>>
>> where a) and b) correspond to the code involved in
>> text-orientation-014.xht . Right now, I am not sure how should a
>> sideways-ed latin text be rendered inside a line box whose dominant
>> baseline is central.
>>

> Gecko looks incorrect to me. text-orientation should not change the
> line
> height. Slight differences in baseline position can be possible, but
> not
> line height.
>
> text-orientation-014.xht also has another issue: the font used is not
>> specified. So, the default system font on the tester's os is
>> involved...
>> while I might have another and different default system font for my
>> os.
>>

> True, from that perspective, it's not really a good test. But the test
> method being not good and incorrect test are two different things.

Okay. After considerable thinking, I have remove
text-orientation-014.xht test.

The top part of that test is now

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/block-flow-direction-vrl-026.xht

and has been approved.

The bottom part of text-orientation-014.xht test is not correct,
therefore I'm removing it.

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-orientation-014-ref.xht

is also removed.

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/d6b2c97eb091

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-014 test removed

Koji Ishii
Sounds good to me, we now have a ref test that covers what it was
trying to test.

Thank you for your work to maintain the tests quality.

/koji