[css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002

[css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002

Gérard Talbot-3
Koji,

[test]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

[reference file]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

When I take such test with Firefox 42.0a1 (all buildID), the reference
file *_matches perfectly_* the test while the pass-fail-conditions
sentence clearly describes that Firefox 42 *_fails_* that test.

I have no idea how to improve that test right now.

As I am sure I said before, presumably to Hajime, testing properties
that inherits by default is very difficult...

- - - - - - - - - -

[test]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002.htm

[reference file]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002.htm

1-
line 8:  <meta charset="utf-8">

The charset meta should be between lines 2 and 3; we want browsers to
know soon about the character encoding.

2-
Pointing up." name="assert">

Obviously, this needs updating.

The test must obviously be testing inheritance through the containment
hierarchy and must also be testing interrupted (by a box boundary) text
runs..

3-
When I take such test with Firefox 42.0a1 (all buildID), the reference
file *_matches perfectly_* the test while the pass-fail-conditions
sentence clearly describes that Firefox 42 *_fails_* that test. So, this
must be a problem.

One way I see to overcome a layout problem is to define the
pass-fail-conditions sentence in a way that the tester will not consider
the width of digits and letter-spacing between digits as a criteria for
passing the test ... like in

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011.xht

"
different advances (letter spacings) are considered as PASS.
"

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002

Koji Ishii-2
Thank you for the feedback, Gérard. Copied to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/issues/803

> On Jul 17, 2015, at 15:04, Gérard Talbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Koji,
>
> [test]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>
> [reference file]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>
> When I take such test with Firefox 42.0a1 (all buildID), the reference file *_matches perfectly_* the test while the pass-fail-conditions sentence clearly describes that Firefox 42 *_fails_* that test.
>
> I have no idea how to improve that test right now.
>
> As I am sure I said before, presumably to Hajime, testing properties that inherits by default is very difficult…

Yeah, these days I’m not too worried about that; lots of tests in writing-mode fall into this category, but we will know once the UA starts implementing the property even partially.

> [test]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002.htm
>
> [reference file]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-002.htm
>
> 1-
> line 8:  <meta charset="utf-8">
>
> The charset meta should be between lines 2 and 3; we want browsers to know soon about the character encoding.

Right, I just took over this abandoned test, fixed.

> 2-
>
> Obviously, this needs updating.
>
> The test must obviously be testing inheritance through the containment hierarchy and must also be testing interrupted (by a box boundary) text runs..

Fixed.

> 3-
> When I take such test with Firefox 42.0a1 (all buildID), the reference file *_matches perfectly_* the test while the pass-fail-conditions sentence clearly describes that Firefox 42 *_fails_* that test. So, this must be a problem.
>

> One way I see to overcome a layout problem is to define the pass-fail-conditions sentence in a way that the tester will not consider the width of digits and letter-spacing between digits as a criteria for passing the test ... like in
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011.xht
>
> "
> different advances (letter spacings) are considered as PASS.
> “

That’s possible, but then the test is no longer a ref test. I prefer a test being a ref test over false-positive for UA that doesn’t implement it at all.

If an UA doesn’t implement a property at all, other tests should discover that anyway. All tests to test the existence of the property doesn’t make sense, does it?

/koji