[css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

[css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

Gérard Talbot-3
Koji,

This is just in case you are not already aware of this...

[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

[reference src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html

[reference nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

The reference file should not use text-combine-horizontal property and
no vendor prefix. As it is (right now), it's just a copy of the test.

The reference file should just use:

#container {
     font-size:50px;
}

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

Koji Ishii-2
Inline:

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Gérard Talbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Koji,
>
> This is just in case you are not already aware of this...
>
> [src]
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>
> [reference src]
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>
> [reference nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>
> The reference file should not use text-combine-horizontal property and no vendor prefix. As it is (right now), it's just a copy of the test.
>
> The reference file should just use:
>
> #container {
>    font-size:50px;
> }

Tried that, but pixel images do not match due to some layouts involved by text-combine-upright.

It does pass on browsers that do not support text-combine-upright at all, that’s unfortunate, but there are several other tests that tests the support of the property, and since this test is specifically testing its inheritability, I think that’s ok.

If you have ideas to test inheritability that fails nicely for non-supported browsers, that’s appreciated, but when it’s hard, I think that’s ok, no?

/koji

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

fantasai
On 07/05/2015 12:50 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:

> Inline:
>
>> On Jul 5, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Gérard Talbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Koji,
>>
>> This is just in case you are not already aware of this...
>>
>> [src]
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>>
>> [nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>>
>> [reference src]
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>>
>> [reference nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>>
>> The reference file should not use text-combine-horizontal property and no vendor prefix. As it is (right now), it's just a copy of the test.
>
> Tried that, but pixel images do not match due to some layouts involved by text-combine-upright.
>
> It does pass on browsers that do not support text-combine-upright at all, that’s unfortunate, but there are several other tests that tests the support of the property, and since this test is specifically testing its inheritability, I think that’s ok.
>
> If you have ideas to test inheritability that fails nicely for non-supported browsers, that’s appreciated, but when it’s hard, I think that’s ok, no?

Koji, the test is completely invalid. As Gérard wrote, the reference is
*just a copy of the test*. Such a reftest will never, ever fail on any
real implementation ever.

The reference file must be the same effect by some *alternative* method.
Otherwise you are just testing that two identical source files render
identically--which is useless.

If you are trying to test if
renders the same as
then your test file should use
while your reference file uses
Then you are actually testing if the two *different* sources render
equivalently, and the test has some meaning.

~fantasai

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

Koji Ishii
Comments inline:

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 1:54 AM, fantasai <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure if I follow, that's exactly what the test is as of now[1], and the suggestion is to change the reference to:

So are you saying the test should fix as suggested, or should not?

/koji

On 07/05/2015 10:16 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Comments inline:
>

>>>     Koji, the test is completely invalid. As Gérard wrote, the reference is
>>     *just a copy of the test*. Such a reftest will never, ever fail on any
>>     real implementation ever.
>>
>>     The reference file must be the same effect by some *alternative* method.
>>     Otherwise you are just testing that two identical source files render
>>     identically--which is useless.
>>
>>     If you are trying to test if
>>     renders the same as
>>     then your test file should use
>>     while your reference file uses
>>     Then you are actually testing if the two *different* sources render
>>     equivalently, and the test has some meaning.
>>

> I'm not sure if I follow, that's exactly what the test is as of now[1],
> and the suggestion is to change the reference to:
>
> So are you saying the test should fix as suggested, or should not?

Sorry, I missed that then. :( It's correct. I thought there was no difference.

I would increase the test's coverage, however, by having additional containers:

This tests not just inheritance through inline elements, but also from
block to inline, and from block to block. It's also good to check both
writing modes; here it's easy, just add
   .vlr { writing-mode: vertical-lr; }

~fantasai

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2015-07-05 00:50, Koji Ishii a écrit :
[snipped]

> It does pass on browsers that do not support text-combine-upright at
> all, that’s unfortunate, (...)

> If you have ideas to test inheritability that fails nicely for
> non-supported browsers, that’s appreciated, but when it’s hard, I
> think that’s ok, no?
>
> /koji

I thought we should try

@supports (text-combine-upright: all)

but even that is unreliable, untrustworthy... or just not working ... am
not sure

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3ConditionalRules/supports-text-combine-upright-all.html

Firefox 43.0a1 buildID=20150814091803 claims to support
'text-combine-upright: all' but it just is not true.

Gérard

Le 2015-07-10 12:40, fantasai a écrit :

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

[reference]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm

[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html

[reference]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html

> I would increase the test's coverage, however, by having additional
> containers:

> This tests not just inheritance through inline elements, but also from
> block to inline, and from block to block. It's also good to check both
> writing modes; here it's easy, just add
>   .vlr { writing-mode: vertical-lr; }
>
> ~fantasai

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001-GT.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001-ref-GT.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001-notref-GT.html

This mismatching reference would make sure that browsers (like Firefox
version 48 and lower) which support vertical writing modes but not
text-combine-upright would fail that test.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines