[css-writing-modes-3] New version of text-orientation-011 test

[css-writing-modes-3] New version of text-orientation-011 test

Gérard Talbot-3
Taka Oshiyama,

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011.xht

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011-ref.xht

The top part of your test is now at

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/block-flow-direction-vrl-026.xht

I modified your original test (the bottom part) so that the test method
would be correct (text-combine-upright: all can not be a fully correct
method of checking text-orientation: upright), more reliable and more
trustworthy by using Ken Lunde's CSSFWOrientationTest.otf font file,
which is, after all, a dedicated font for testing text-orientation. This
new version of your test also makes it possible to make the test
automatable and not manual.

I've kept your name as author.

One issue that annoys me is the fact that Firefox 46.0a1
buildID=20160109070010 takes 5 seconds (on average) to fetch the
"support/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf" and then to load it into
the rendering engine before we can see the rendered layout. Later, I may
have to add <html class="reftest-wait" ...> into that test...

Writing Reftests: Controlling When Comparison Occurs
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/reftests.html#controlling-when-comparison-occurs

- - - - - -

I thought I had the CSSFWOrientationTest.otf (version 1.005) correctly
copied into
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/
and into
http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/
back in december 2015 but I was wrong. Now I fixed that problem and the
font file is correct in those folders.

changesets 8288, 8289, 8290, 8291, 8292, 8293, 8294

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] New version of text-orientation-011 test

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2016-01-16 18:24, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Taka Oshiyama,
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-011-ref.xht
>
> The top part of your test is now at
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/block-flow-direction-vrl-026.xht
>
> I modified your original test (the bottom part) so that the test
> method would be correct (text-combine-upright: all can not be a fully
> correct method of checking text-orientation: upright), more reliable
> and more trustworthy by using Ken Lunde's CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
> font file, which is, after all, a dedicated font for testing
> text-orientation. This new version of your test also makes it possible
> to make the test automatable and not manual.

Taka Oshiyama,

Thanks to Koji, I was made aware I was wrong on this as it is not
possible to use an image for glyphs with an oblique slope like a
triangle (anti-aliasing effects). So, the test is now back to manual and
text-orientation-011-ref.xht has been removed.

> I've kept your name as author.
>
> One issue that annoys me is the fact that Firefox 46.0a1
> buildID=20160109070010 takes 5 seconds (on average) to fetch the
> "support/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf" and then to load it
> into the rendering engine before we can see the rendered layout.
> Later, I may have to add <html class="reftest-wait" ...> into that
> test...
>
> Writing Reftests: Controlling When Comparison Occurs
> http://testthewebforward.org/docs/reftests.html#controlling-when-comparison-occurs

Since the test is now manual, then there is no need to fix the related
delay of loading font file into the rendering engine.

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/6c88ce9dbff6

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/3db562f589b8

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/01bdc57f017a

Gérard