[css-values] Case sensitivity of attr()

Simon Pieters-3
Please see https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/991

CSS2:
"The case-sensitivity of attribute names depends on the document language."
https://drafts.csswg.org/css2/generate.html#propdef-content

css-values:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#funcdef-attr

No text about the case sensitivity that I can find. I suppose it should
have something similar to CSS2 or
https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#case-sensitive

Anne van Kesteren suggests:
> I would love it if CSS just exposed some host-defined slots (or required
> those to be defined on "document" or wherever) to make this more
> explicit. Would attr() ever be different from attribute selector
> matching for instance?

https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/991#issuecomment-205733587

For now I suppose we can add attr() in HTML (with the same rules as
attribute selectors) but we can investigate better ways of handling this,
in particular if CSS will add new features that should have these rules...

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software

Re: [css-values] Case sensitivity of attr()

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 4:53 AM, Simon Pieters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please see https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/991
>
> CSS2:
> "The case-sensitivity of attribute names depends on the document language."
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css2/generate.html#propdef-content
>
> css-values:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#funcdef-attr
>
> No text about the case sensitivity that I can find. I suppose it should have
> something similar to CSS2 or
> https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#case-sensitive
>

> Anne van Kesteren suggests:
>>
>> I would love it if CSS just exposed some host-defined slots (or required
>> those to be defined on "document" or wherever) to make this more explicit.
>> Would attr() ever be different from attribute selector matching for
>> instance?
>

> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/991#issuecomment-205733587
>
> For now I suppose we can add attr() in HTML (with the same rules as
> attribute selectors) but we can investigate better ways of handling this, in
> particular if CSS will add new features that should have these rules...

I think we should define a slot for attributes to define whether
they're CI or CS, then everything can just refer to that.

~TJ

Re: [css-values] Case sensitivity of attr()

fantasai
On 04/05/2016 07:53 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Please see https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/991
>
> CSS2:
> "The case-sensitivity of attribute names depends on the document language."
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css2/generate.html#propdef-content
>
> css-values:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#funcdef-attr
>
> No text about the case sensitivity that I can find. I suppose it should have something similar to CSS2 or
> https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#case-sensitive

Added.

~fantasai