[css-transforms] Individual transform properties, stacking contexts, containing blocks

[css-transforms] Individual transform properties, stacking contexts, containing blocks

Matt Rakow
Hi all,

Any non-"none" value for the transform property causes the element to establish a stacking context and containing block.  The individual transform properties are not currently specified as establishing either of these; should they (I think yes)?

If yes, when?  Do these properties also need a "none" value as the default?

Thanks,
-Matt

-Matt

Re: [css-transforms] Individual transform properties, stacking contexts, containing blocks

Simon Fraser-4
On Jun 26, 2016, at 4:22 AM, Shane Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:

Having a default 'none' (and every other value establishing a stacking context) is probably best so that animations that sweep through the zeroes (translate: 0px, rotate: 0deg, and scale: 1) don't pop in and out of stacking context/containing block.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Matt Rakow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Any non-"none" value for the transform property causes the element to establish a stacking context and containing block.  The individual transform properties are not currently specified as establishing either of these; should they (I think yes)?

If yes, when?  Do these properties also need a "none" value as the default?

Thanks,
-Matt

Didn't we decide that stacking context doesn't change during animations, as if will-change were applied if any keyframe has a transform?

Simon

RE: [css-transforms] Individual transform properties, stacking contexts, containing blocks

Matt Rakow
> Having a default 'none' (and every other value establishing a stacking context) is probably best so that animations that sweep through the zeroes (translate: 0px, rotate: 0deg, and scale: 1) don't pop in and out of stacking context/containing block.

That sounds good to me.

> Didn't we decide that stacking context doesn't change during animations, as if will-change were applied if any keyframe has a transform?

The problem I see with an assumption like that is that we would still have to define the default values for each property as not establishing a stacking context outside of animations.  That would still lead to jumps for script-driven "animations".  Or for transitions that happen to start/end at a default value, which may be especially unpredictable/uncontrollable for transitioned values applied programmatically rather than through a static stylesheet.

Thanks,
-Matt