[css-text] letter-spacing to the trailing edge of a line

[css-text] letter-spacing to the trailing edge of a line

Praveen Puglia
The spec for letter spacing in example-16 [1] mentions that

UAs therefore must not append letter spacing to the right or trailing edge of a line:

But when I try this out on different browsers, I see that the letter-spacing is indeed applied for the last letter and for, say english, the content inside looks shifted towards the left edge.

I am a little confused whether or not I understood the spec properly or the browser vendors have no considered it.

Here's the test case [2] with exact same results on Chrome and Firefox.

Cheers!
Praveen  praveenpuglia.com  @praveenpuglia

Re: [css-text] letter-spacing to the trailing edge of a line

Florian Rivoal-4

On Jun 7, 2016, at 20:56, Praveen Puglia <[hidden email]> wrote:

The spec for letter spacing in example-16 [1] mentions that

UAs therefore must not append letter spacing to the right or trailing edge of a line:

But when I try this out on different browsers, I see that the letter-spacing is indeed applied for the last letter and for, say english, the content inside looks shifted towards the left edge.

I am a little confused whether or not I understood the spec properly or the browser vendors have no considered it.

Here's the test case [2] with exact same results on Chrome and Firefox.

Your understanding of the specification is correct, and browsers have bugs.

 - Florian

Re: [css-text] letter-spacing to the trailing edge of a line

Sebastian Zartner-3
On 7 June 2016 at 16:24, Florian Rivoal <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jun 7, 2016, at 20:56, Praveen Puglia <[hidden email]> wrote:

The spec for letter spacing in example-16 [1] mentions that

UAs therefore must not append letter spacing to the right or trailing edge of a line:

But when I try this out on different browsers, I see that the letter-spacing is indeed applied for the last letter and for, say english, the content inside looks shifted towards the left edge.

I am a little confused whether or not I understood the spec properly or the browser vendors have no considered it.

Here's the test case [2] with exact same results on Chrome and Firefox.

Your understanding of the specification is correct, and browsers have bugs.

FWIW, the related Firefox bug is https://bugzil.la/299943 and the one for Chrome is https://crbug.com/267056.

Sebastian