[css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

[css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

Mats Palmgren
I'm about to implement Grid gutters in Gecko and I have a few questions
on the spec text[1] (in quotes below):

"Name: 'grid-row-gap', 'grid-column-gap'
  Value: <length>"

Are negative values allowed?
(if not, please say so explicitly)

"Animatable: no"

Why not? (it seems trivial to support for a <length> value)

"Name: 'grid-gap'
  Initial: normal"

What does "normal" mean here?  Shouldn't this instead say
"see individual properties" as usual for shorthands?
I'd prefer that, because it simplifies the implementation
to not have to support the "normal" keyword and I don't see
what benefit it brings.

[1]
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#gutters

Thanks,
Mats

Re: [css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

Sergio Villar Senin
On 03/10/15 17:13, Mats Palmgren wrote:

> "Name: 'grid-gap'
>  Initial: normal"
>
> What does "normal" mean here?  Shouldn't this instead say
> "see individual properties" as usual for shorthands?
> I'd prefer that, because it simplifies the implementation
> to not have to support the "normal" keyword and I don't see
> what benefit it brings.

In the previous draft[1] (the one I used for the Blink implementation)
there was this text:

"On grid containers, a value of normal computes to zero."

which was apparently removed from the last one. Also the Value: for
grid-row|column-gap was

Value: normal | <length>

instead of just <length>. So perhaps the "Initial: normal" is obsolete
and should be replaced by "Initial: see individual properties" or the
like as you mention.

BR

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-css-grid-1-20150806/#gutters

Re: [css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Mats Palmgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm about to implement Grid gutters in Gecko and I have a few questions
> on the spec text[1] (in quotes below):
>
> "Name: 'grid-row-gap', 'grid-column-gap'
>  Value: <length>"
>
> Are negative values allowed?
> (if not, please say so explicitly)

Specified that it's invalid.

> "Animatable: no"
>
> Why not? (it seems trivial to support for a <length> value)

We'd accidentally omitted it, so it got the default value. Fixed.

> "Name: 'grid-gap'
>  Initial: normal"
>
> What does "normal" mean here?  Shouldn't this instead say
> "see individual properties" as usual for shorthands?
> I'd prefer that, because it simplifies the implementation
> to not have to support the "normal" keyword and I don't see
> what benefit it brings.

As Sergio said, it previously allowed "normal", because we were
reusing column-gap. Fixed by setting to 0.

~TJ

Re: [css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

Sebastian Zartner-3
On 5 November 2015 at 01:50, Tab Atkins Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Mats Palmgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm about to implement Grid gutters in Gecko and I have a few questions
> on the spec text[1] (in quotes below):
>
> "Name: 'grid-row-gap', 'grid-column-gap'
>  Value: <length>"
>
> Are negative values allowed?
> (if not, please say so explicitly)

Specified that it's invalid.

> "Animatable: no"
>
> Why not? (it seems trivial to support for a <length> value)

We'd accidentally omitted it, so it got the default value. Fixed.

> "Name: 'grid-gap'
>  Initial: normal"
>
> What does "normal" mean here?  Shouldn't this instead say
> "see individual properties" as usual for shorthands?
> I'd prefer that, because it simplifies the implementation
> to not have to support the "normal" keyword and I don't see
> what benefit it brings.

As Sergio said, it previously allowed "normal", because we were
reusing column-gap. Fixed by setting to 0.

Tab, your changes don't appear online yet. Is that intentional?

Sebastian

Re: [css-grid] A few questions on Grid gutters (grid-column-gap, grid-row-gap, and grid-gap properties)

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:53 AM, Sebastian Zartner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 November 2015 at 01:50, Tab Atkins Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Mats Palmgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'm about to implement Grid gutters in Gecko and I have a few questions
>> > on the spec text[1] (in quotes below):
>> >
>> > "Name: 'grid-row-gap', 'grid-column-gap'
>> >  Value: <length>"
>> >
>> > Are negative values allowed?
>> > (if not, please say so explicitly)
>>
>> Specified that it's invalid.
>>
>> > "Animatable: no"
>> >
>> > Why not? (it seems trivial to support for a <length> value)
>>
>> We'd accidentally omitted it, so it got the default value. Fixed.
>>
>> > "Name: 'grid-gap'
>> >  Initial: normal"
>> >
>> > What does "normal" mean here?  Shouldn't this instead say
>> > "see individual properties" as usual for shorthands?
>> > I'd prefer that, because it simplifies the implementation
>> > to not have to support the "normal" keyword and I don't see
>> > what benefit it brings.
>>
>> As Sergio said, it previously allowed "normal", because we were
>> reusing column-gap. Fixed by setting to 0.
>

> Tab, your changes don't appear online yet. Is that intentional?

They showed up at some point, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~TJ