[css-fonts] Feature resolution and caps synthesis conflicting

[css-fonts] Feature resolution and caps synthesis conflicting

Dominik Röttsches
Hi,

consider the following example:

span {
font-variant-caps: all-small-caps;
font-feature-settings: "smcp" 0, "c2sc" 0;
}

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-fonts/#feature-precedence says that at font-variant-caps should be take into account at precedence level 4, however, at level 6 it is overriden by font-feature-settings.

The synthesis rules in https://drafts.csswg.org/css-fonts/#propdef-font-variant-caps describe that if none of the native features are available, all-small-caps should be synthesized by upper-casing the text and downscaling the font.

However, what should be the exact definition of availability here, taking into account the feature resolution?

The feature resolution can be interpreted in two ways:
1) It means it should deactivate/hide the available features in the font and trigger synthesis since the resolved available feature set does not have smcp and c2sc, or alternatively,
2) no synthesis is done since the feature detection has determined that the features are available and should be enabled through font-variant-caps, but then are deactivated through font-feature-settings.

Opinions? What should happen in this case -

Dominik

Re: [css-fonts] Feature resolution and caps synthesis conflicting

Tab Atkins Jr.
Hiya Dominik, I moved this issue over to GitHub, since we now track
issues over there https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/259

~TJ