[css-flexbox] which margin definition for intrinsic sizing?

[css-flexbox] which margin definition for intrinsic sizing?

Christian Biesinger-3
Hello!

This algorithm wants to use the outer flex base size. But in general, for intrinsic sizing purposes, percentage margins get treated as zero. Should that be used here as well?

Also, is there a reason why min-size is ignored for the purpose of this algorithm?

thanks,
-Christian

Re: [css-flexbox] which margin definition for intrinsic sizing?

Christian Biesinger-3
I learned today that not all browsers ignore percentage margins for intrinsic width computations. In this testcase:

Chrome/IE 11/Edge overflow the box, whereas in Firefox they don't. I actually have no idea how they implement this! I'm also unsure what the spec requires...

-Christian

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Christian Biesinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

This algorithm wants to use the outer flex base size. But in general, for intrinsic sizing purposes, percentage margins get treated as zero. Should that be used here as well?

Also, is there a reason why min-size is ignored for the purpose of this algorithm?

thanks,
-Christian

RE: [css-flexbox] which margin definition for intrinsic sizing?

Greg Whitworth
> ... snipped ...
> Chrome/IE 11/Edge overflow the box, whereas in Firefox they don't. I actually have no idea how they implement this! I'm also unsure what the spec  requires...
> -Christian

Hey Christian,

I'll be looking into this as this is not what I would expect either at first glance either.

As an aside, I have created a new issue on github for this, if we could please continue the discussion there.
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/359

Thanks!!
~Greg

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Greg Whitworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... snipped ...
> Chrome/IE 11/Edge overflow the box, whereas in Firefox they don't. I actually have no idea how they implement this! I'm also unsure what the spec  requires...
> -Christian

Hey Christian,

I'll be looking into this as this is not what I would expect either at first glance either.

As an aside, I have created a new issue on github for this, if we could please continue the discussion there.
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/359

Thanks. I'm not yet used to using the issue tracker :) I'll make sure my min-size question is filed as well.

-Christian

Re: [css-flexbox] which margin definition for intrinsic sizing?

Christian Biesinger-3
How can I add a label to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/361? Do I need special permissions?

-Christian