comments from a cursory look at WD-ws-i18n-20050914

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

comments from a cursory look at WD-ws-i18n-20050914

Eric Prud'hommeaux

3 Data Structure for SOAP Documents
[[
SOAP documents that need to send international preferences SHOULD
reference the SOAP Feature described by this document and include the
<international> block in a header. When sent from the requester to a
provider, the header represents the preferences of the requester or
its client application. When sent in a response message from the
provider, the header represents the settings that the service used to
process the request.
]]

s/in a header/in a SOAP header/ # would clarify for the casual reader
(slackers like me), as would

<soap:header>
  <i18n:international soap:mustUnderstand="..." soap:actor:"...">
     ...
  </i18n:international>
</soap:header>


3.3 The TZ (Time Zone) Element

Are Olson IDs a known quantity? Can I send <tz>America/San_Diego</tz>
to you and know you'll understand it? The reference didn't make me
confident of that.


4 Data Structure for WSDL Documents
[[
WSDL documents describe the capabilities and configuration of a
service.
]]
I'd say "WSDL describes the messages and invocation parameters of a
web service."

[[
The policy that governs the operation of a particular service is
implemented as a WSDL Property:
]]
What's the current state of features and properties?

5 Examples
[[
Here are some document examples:
]]
If it's a "document example", I'd make up a service and write down the
entire xml document. That's good for the folks who learn best by
example.


This is an interesting step. Has W3C defined any headers before? Is it
worth defining an equivilant HTTP Extension? Probably not -- unless I
can convince more of the REST world that their salvation lies in HTTP
Extensions.
--
-eric

home-office: +1.617.395.1213 (usually 900-2300 CET)
            +33.1.45.35.62.14
cell:       +33.6.73.84.87.26

([hidden email])
Feel free to forward this message to any list for any purpose other than
email address distribution.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: comments from a cursory look at WD-ws-i18n-20050914

Felix Sasaki

Hi eric, taking public-i18n-core into the loop,

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> 3 Data Structure for SOAP Documents
> [[
> SOAP documents that need to send international preferences SHOULD
> reference the SOAP Feature described by this document and include the
> <international> block in a header. When sent from the requester to a
> provider, the header represents the preferences of the requester or
> its client application. When sent in a response message from the
> provider, the header represents the settings that the service used to
> process the request.
> ]]
>
> s/in a header/in a SOAP header/ # would clarify for the casual reader
> (slackers like me), as would
>
> <soap:header>
>   <i18n:international soap:mustUnderstand="..." soap:actor:"...">
>      ...
>   </i18n:international>
> </soap:header>
>
Hi Eric,

Many thanks for these comments!

>
> 3.3 The TZ (Time Zone) Element
>
> Are Olson IDs a known quantity?

yes, but you are right if you say we should say s.t. about them.

 Can I send <tz>America/San_Diego</tz>

> to you and know you'll understand it? The reference didn't make me
> confident of that.
>
>
> 4 Data Structure for WSDL Documents
> [[
> WSDL documents describe the capabilities and configuration of a
> service.
> ]]
> I'd say "WSDL describes the messages and invocation parameters of a
> web service."

o.k.

>
> [[
> The policy that governs the operation of a particular service is
> implemented as a WSDL Property:
> ]]
> What's the current state of features and properties?

We have something in the current draft, but the subsequent work on the
draft will probably go in a different direction.

>
> 5 Examples
> [[
> Here are some document examples:
> ]]
> If it's a "document example", I'd make up a service and write down the
> entire xml document. That's good for the folks who learn best by
> example.

good idea.

>
>
> This is an interesting step. Has W3C defined any headers before?

not that I know of.

Is it
> worth defining an equivilant HTTP Extension? Probably not -- unless I
> can convince more of the REST world that their salvation lies in HTTP
> Extensions.

I agree.

Thanks again,

Felix