clarifying xlink:actuate and xlink:show

Threaded

clarifying xlink:actuate and xlink:show

brettz9

I think it might be helpful to be able to specify (in a more concrete
way than just assigning the value of "other") the pattern used for
identifying the conditions under which xlink:actuate or xlink:show will
have a particular value. Perhaps reference could be made to conditions
indicating that if the element name was such-and-such, a certain
behavior should occur, if an attribute was present or had a particular
value, or a child element or sequence of elements were present/had
certain values, etc. I think having such an option would be more robust
in allowing behaviors to be determined conditionally via a predictable
pattern identification mechanism.

thank you,
Brett Zamir

Threaded

Re: clarifying xlink:actuate and xlink:show

Norman Walsh
| I think it might be helpful to be able to specify (in a more concrete
| way than just assigning the value of "other") the pattern used for
| identifying the conditions under which xlink:actuate or xlink:show
| will have a particular value. Perhaps reference could be made to
| conditions indicating that if the element name was such-and-such, a
| certain behavior should occur, if an attribute was present or had a
| particular value, or a child element or sequence of elements were
| present/had certain values, etc. I think having such an option would
| be more robust in allowing behaviors to be determined conditionally
| via a predictable pattern identification mechanism.

I think you might be right, but I can't imagine a set of conditions
would apply universally. I suggest that you use additional attributes
in an application-specific way to encode these behaviors. If they are
widely adopted, then it would be appropriate to consider them in some
more substantial revision of XLink.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <[hidden email]> | Life does not cease to be funny when
http://nwalsh.com/            | people die anymore than it ceases to be