bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Hodges, Jeff
somewhat all of a sudden, the cloud-hosted bikeshed claims:   Unknown
Status 'ED' used

here's the details..

> curl https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ -F file=@index.bs -F force=1 -F
>output=err > errors.txt ; ls -l errors*
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100  116k    0   162  100  116k    222   160k --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
160k
-rw-r--r--  1 jehodges  110028724  162 Aug 17 15:22 errors.txt


> cat errors.txt
Error running preprocessor, returned code: 1.
\033[1;31mFATAL ERROR:\033[0m Unknown Status 'ED' used.
\033[7;31m ✘ \033[0m Did not generate, due to fatal errors

The metadata section in this index.bs begins with..

  <pre class='metadata'>
   Title: Web Authentication: An API for accessing Scoped Credentials
  Status: ED
  TR: http://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn/
  ED: http://w3c.github.io/webauthn/
  Shortname: webauthn
  ...
  </pre>



This is a bug, yes?  'ED' is used as a value for Status in the example on..

https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/blob/master/docs/metadata.md

That page also says that documenting the allowed values for Status is a
"TODO" -- what's the status of that?

I also note that playing around with the leading whitespace of the lines
within the <pre class='metadata'> section yields different error msgs,
sigh.

was the bikeshed impl behind https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ recently
updated?  I wasn't having this issue with this index.bs file back in June.

thanks,

=JeffH

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Hodges, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> somewhat all of a sudden, the cloud-hosted bikeshed claims:   Unknown
> Status 'ED' used
>
> here's the details..
>
>> curl https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ -F file=@index.bs -F force=1 -F
>>output=err > errors.txt ; ls -l errors*
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
> Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
> Speed
> 100  116k    0   162  100  116k    222   160k --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
> 160k
> -rw-r--r--  1 jehodges  110028724  162 Aug 17 15:22 errors.txt
>
>
>> cat errors.txt
> Error running preprocessor, returned code: 1.
> \033[1;31mFATAL ERROR:\033[0m Unknown Status 'ED' used.
> \033[7;31m ✘ \033[0m Did not generate, due to fatal errors
>
> The metadata section in this index.bs begins with..
>
>   <pre class='metadata'>
>    Title: Web Authentication: An API for accessing Scoped Credentials
>   Status: ED
>   TR: http://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn/
>   ED: http://w3c.github.io/webauthn/
>   Shortname: webauthn
>   ...
>   </pre>
>
>
>
> This is a bug, yes?

Kinda sorta, but mostly WAI.  I've begun namespacing the statuses
based on "supergroup" - W3C groups have access to the W3C document
statuses, ISO groups have access to the ISO statuses, etc.  This
avoids collisions between independent groups.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet added a good way to let Bikeshed know
that you're a W3C group, besides me adding your group to the list
manually.  Happy to do so - what's your Group?

>  'ED' is used as a value for Status in the example on..
> https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/blob/master/docs/metadata.md
>
> That page also says that documenting the allowed values for Status is a
> "TODO" -- what's the status of that?

Still TODO, because the list is long and I need to rejigger how I do
my documentation.

> I also note that playing around with the leading whitespace of the lines
> within the <pre class='metadata'> section yields different error msgs,
> sigh.

Yes, metadata can't have leading whitespace. If you do so, it triggers
the "continuation line" feature, where you can spread a multi-line
value over multiple lines without having to repeat the metadata name
again.

This isn't explained well - thanks for pointing out the documentation bug!

> was the bikeshed impl behind https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ recently
> updated?  I wasn't having this issue with this index.bs file back in June.

Yes, it updates within a few minutes of me pushing changes to the
repository.  This change definitely occurred more recently than June.

~TJ

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Hodges, Jeff
thanks for speedy reply Tab...

On 8/17/16, 5:10 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Hodges, Jeff <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> somewhat all of a sudden, the cloud-hosted bikeshed claims:   Unknown
>> Status 'ED' used
>>
>> here's the details..
>>
>>> curl https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ -F file=@index.bs -F force=1 -F
>>>output=err > errors.txt ; ls -l errors*
>>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
>> Current
>>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
>> Speed
>> 100  116k    0   162  100  116k    222   160k --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
>> 160k
>> -rw-r--r--  1 jehodges  110028724  162 Aug 17 15:22 errors.txt
>>
>>
>>> cat errors.txt
>> Error running preprocessor, returned code: 1.
>> \033[1;31mFATAL ERROR:\033[0m Unknown Status 'ED' used.
>> \033[7;31m ✘ \033[0m Did not generate, due to fatal errors
>>
>> The metadata section in this index.bs begins with..
>>
>>   <pre class='metadata'>
>>    Title: Web Authentication: An API for accessing Scoped Credentials
>>   Status: ED
>>   TR: http://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn/
>>   ED: http://w3c.github.io/webauthn/
>>   Shortname: webauthn
>>   ...
>>   </pre>
>>
>>
>>
>> This is a bug, yes?
>
>Kinda sorta, but mostly WAI.

WAI?

> I've begun namespacing the statuses
>based on "supergroup" - W3C groups have access to the W3C document
>statuses, ISO groups have access to the ISO statuses, etc.  This
>avoids collisions between independent groups.

by "supergroup" you essentially mean "standards development org (SDO)" ?


>Unfortunately, I haven't yet added a good way to let Bikeshed know
>that you're a W3C group, besides me adding your group to the list
>manually.  Happy to do so - what's your Group?

ah, if you are referring to the metadata "group", and by implication, the
W3C working group, it is "webauthn" (short name) "web authentication"
(long name).

perhaps you could automate syncing the present active w3c groups from e.g.
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/activities ?

>
>>  'ED' is used as a value for Status in the example on..
>> https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/blob/master/docs/metadata.md
>>
>> That page also says that documenting the allowed values for Status is a
>> "TODO" -- what's the status of that?
>
>Still TODO, because the list is long and I need to rejigger how I do
>my documentation.

might you just be able to let us know what the allowed values for "status"
is for a W3C group?

>
>> I also note that playing around with the leading whitespace of the lines
>> within the <pre class='metadata'> section yields different error msgs,
>> sigh.
>
>Yes, metadata can't have leading whitespace. If you do so, it triggers
>the "continuation line" feature, where you can spread a multi-line
>value over multiple lines without having to repeat the metadata name
>again.

although, I have experienced fatal errors if the first metadata line,
which for us is "title", is not indented at least one space.


>This isn't explained well - thanks for pointing out the documentation bug!

you're welcome -- yeah, i've run across various frustrating issues with
whitespace significance in bikeshed, mostly in the metadata block, but i
was using various bikeshed versions and so haven't kept track of 'em.


>
>> was the bikeshed impl behind https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ recently
>> updated?  I wasn't having this issue with this index.bs file back in
>>June.
>
>Yes, it updates within a few minutes of me pushing changes to the
>repository.  This change definitely occurred more recently than June.

so https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ is bleeding edge? do you publish
release notes when you so push? unfortunately I haven't been able to get
bikeshed updated locally and so am personally relying on that cloud
version...

thanks again,

=JeffH



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Hodges, Jeff
On 8/17/16, 5:31 PM, "Hodges, Jeff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately, I haven't yet added a good way to let Bikeshed know
that you're a W3C group, besides me adding your group to the list
manually.  Happy to do so - what's your Group?

ah, if you are referring to the metadata "group", and by implication, the
W3C working group, it is "webauthn" (short name) "web authentication"
(long name).

is it possible to get our group name added to your group-name-list in the near future?  I'm still unable to process our spec via https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ , plus if someone updates the bikeshed rev our travisCI integration uses, it'll break auto our auto-spec-rendering IIUC...

thx

=JeffH


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Tab Atkins Jr.
In reply to this post by Hodges, Jeff
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Hodges, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> WAI?

Working As Intended.

>> I've begun namespacing the statuses
>>based on "supergroup" - W3C groups have access to the W3C document
>>statuses, ISO groups have access to the ISO statuses, etc.  This
>>avoids collisions between independent groups.
>
> by "supergroup" you essentially mean "standards development org (SDO)" ?

Yeah.

> might you just be able to let us know what the allowed values for "status"
> is for a W3C group?

It's all the W3C status shortnames - ED, WD, CR, etc.

> although, I have experienced fatal errors if the first metadata line,
> which for us is "title", is not indented at least one space.

That's... extremely weird and not experience by literally anyone else
as far as I know?  I'd love to see a file where this problem occurred.

> so https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ is bleeding edge?

Yes.

> do you publish
> release notes when you so push?

No.  At some point I should probably do so, but Bikeshed's still in
the "just fix bugs as they show up" stage.

> unfortunately I haven't been able to get
> bikeshed updated locally and so am personally relying on that cloud
> version...

That's why we run it. ^_^

~TJ

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Hodges, Jeff
In reply to this post by Hodges, Jeff
Tab fixed this last Friday -- Thx!

###
On 8/18/16, 9:56 AM, "Hodges, Jeff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 8/17/16, 5:31 PM, "Hodges, Jeff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately, I haven't yet added a good way to let Bikeshed know
that you're a W3C group, besides me adding your group to the list
manually.  Happy to do so - what's your Group?

ah, if you are referring to the metadata "group", and by implication, the
W3C working group, it is "webauthn" (short name) "web authentication"
(long name).

is it possible to get our group name added to your group-name-list in the near future?  I'm still unable to process our spec via https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ , plus if someone updates the bikeshed rev our travisCI integration uses, it'll break auto our auto-spec-rendering IIUC...

thx

=JeffH


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

Hodges, Jeff
In reply to this post by Tab Atkins Jr.
On 8/19/16, 11:50 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Hodges, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
WAI?

Working As Intended.

doh.


although, I have experienced fatal errors if the first metadata line,
which for us is "title", is not indented at least one space.

That's... extremely weird and not experience by literally anyone else
as far as I know?  I'd love to see a file where this problem occurred.

well, the input file was some earlier version of https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/blob/master/index.bs (it was named index.src.html at the time) but could perhaps be re-created with the current version, though I can't recreate it cuz my local copy of bikeshed is horked, anhttps://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/  appears to not have the issue... sorry,

=JeffH