auto-version and shared write-locks

Tim Olsen

Hello,

Let's consider the following case:

A checked-in VCR exists with its DAV:auto-version set to
DAV:locked-checkout.  A user grabs two shared write locks on the VCR.
Then the user does a PUT, including both lock tokens with the PUT
request.

At which point does the VCR checkin automatically?  When both locks
are unlocked or when either lock unlocks?

Thanks,
Tim

Re: auto-version and shared write-locks

Geoffrey M Clemm

The VCR should auto-checkin when all write locks have been removed.

Cheers,
Geoff

[hidden email] wrote on 11/30/2006 05:27:53 PM:

> Hello,
>
> Let's consider the following case:
>
> A checked-in VCR exists with its DAV:auto-version set to
> DAV:locked-checkout.  A user grabs two shared write locks on the VCR.
> Then the user does a PUT, including both lock tokens with the PUT
> request.
>
> At which point does the VCR checkin automatically?  When both locks
> are unlocked or when either lock unlocks?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Re: auto-version and shared write-locks

chetanreddy (Bugzilla)

>The VCR should auto-checkin when all write locks have been removed.

Do you mean all write locks present in the request that caused the
auto-checkout? Or should we wait till the VCR becomes completely
write-lock free (i.e, till all shared write locks of other users are
also removed )?  I would think that a new version of a resource is
ready when all the members who are collaborating on work on that
resource are done and remove their shared lock. Unless this technique
is meant to be used as a backup mechanism for individual changes made
by users collaborating on the resource through shared locks.

Chetan

Re: auto-version and shared write-locks

Geoffrey M Clemm

I'd probably wait until the VCR becomes completely write-lock free.
But one could make a reasonable argument either way.
Note: I've never been a fan of shared locks, so whatever you want to do there is fine with me (:-).

Cheers,
Geoff