[announcement] Automatic /TR publishing

Philippe Le Hegaret
Dear Editors,

We're pleased to announce the alpha release of the automatic publishing
system:
 https://labs.w3.org/echidna/

For its first release, it allows the publishing of W3C Working
Drafts any day of the week, using a simple API:
 https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki/How-to-use-Echidna

We are limiting this initially to some early adopters but will want to
increase volume of documents from varied groups over time.  Please let
us know if your group is interested and we will get back to you.

Additional Notes

data-editor-id requirement:

As part of this system, a new requirement has been added for those
documents:
[[
Specberus (the replacement for the current pubrules checker) will expect
you to add editor ids in your document. You can find those using
myprofile [3], which gets redirected to
https://www.w3.org/users/[USER_ID]. This is the id associated with the
W3C account of the individual, such as '56102', and it needs to appear
in the markup:

<dd data-editor-id="6457">plh</dd>
]]
https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki/Preparing-your-document

Current limitations:

Note that we have a few limitations in v1:
[[
* only ordinary Working Drafts (no FPWD, LC, CR, PR, or REC)
* previous version must be a FPWD or ordinary WDs
* only HTML5 documents
* no multiple deliverers (no joint Working Groups deliverables)
* only normative documents
* only documents published under the August 1, 2014 process document
]]
https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki/How-to-use-Echidna

Planning for future releases isn't written yet and will depend on the
feedback received for v1.

Thank you,

Denis Ah-Kang,
Jeremie Astori,
Ted Guild,
Philippe Le Hegaret,
Antonio Titos.

[1] https://labs.w3.org/echidna/
[2] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki/How-to-use-Echidna
[3] https://www.w3.org/users/myprofile

Re: [announcement] Automatic /TR publishing

Tobie Langel-3
Congrats!

That's a great step forward.

--tobie

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kostiainen, Anssi

> On 13 Feb 2015, at 16:49, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We're pleased to announce the alpha release of the automatic publishing
> system:
> https://labs.w3.org/echidna/

Congrats on the release! As an editor, I'm happy to see how the spec workflow is being modernised and automated.

Should I be able to use the full system locally too for testing purposes?

Setting up worked fine, but I ran into issues when talking to the local endpoint. I'll save the details for a bug report to be filed, if the local setup is actually something that is in scope for the project.

If you'd like to get outside contributions, it'd be very nice to have a fully functional local system to play with.

Thanks,

-Anssi

On 02/19/2015 11:31 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> On 13 Feb 2015, at 16:49, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We're pleased to announce the alpha release of the automatic publishing
>> system:
>> https://labs.w3.org/echidna/
>
> Congrats on the release! As an editor, I'm happy to see how the spec workflow is being modernised and automated.
>
> Should I be able to use the full system locally too for testing purposes?

Unfortunately not, since some of the system is linked to our DB and the
IPP system. We tried to expose as much as possible in the source code
provided in github. At the minimum, you should be able to run specberus
locally and probably the third-party checker.

> Setting up worked fine, but I ran into issues when talking to the local endpoint. I'll save the details for a bug report to be filed, if the local setup is actually something that is in scope for the project.
>
> If you'd like to get outside contributions, it'd be very nice to have a fully functional local system to play with.

A lot of source code is on github and we're certainly eager to get
contributions into the code (especially specberus and its mystic error
messages). It's all linked from
  https://github.com/w3c/echidna

Feel free to contribute to the documentation as well btw. We realize
that it's not the best and we keep tweaking to help guide folks.

Philippe

Re: [announcement] Automatic /TR publishing

Kostiainen, Anssi
Hi Philippe,

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 02:33, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02/19/2015 11:31 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:

[...]

>> Should I be able to use the full system locally too for testing purposes?
>
> Unfortunately not, since some of the system is linked to our DB and the IPP system. We tried to expose as much as possible in the source code provided in github. At the minimum, you should be able to run specberus locally and probably the third-party checker.

Thanks for the clarification.

Could stub implementations of the said interfaces be used for testing purposes locally?

[...]

> Feel free to contribute to the documentation as well btw. We realize that it's not the best and we keep tweaking to help guide folks.

I contributed changes to the documentation to clarify this aspect.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

-Anssi

On 02/20/2015 07:33 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
>> On 20 Feb 2015, at 02:33, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/19/2015 11:31 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> Should I be able to use the full system locally too for testing purposes?
>> Unfortunately not, since some of the system is linked to our DB and the IPP system. We tried to expose as much as possible in the source code provided in github. At the minimum, you should be able to run specberus locally and probably the third-party checker.
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Could stub implementations of the said interfaces be used for testing purposes locally?
>
> [...]

Yes, to certain extend, this could be done and has been done partially, see
  https://github.com/w3c/echidna/blob/master/test/lib/testserver.js

We're basically simulating the expected answer from those services, but
keep in mind that there are limits to what can be done here unfortunately.

>> Feel free to contribute to the documentation as well btw. We realize that it's not the best and we keep tweaking to help guide folks.
> I contributed changes to the documentation to clarify this aspect.

Thank you!

Philippe